Another spurious (?) quotation

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Another spurious (?) quotation

Post by marcus »

Amyntoros is always quicker than I am in finding obscure references - it's way past midnight so I'm not even going to *start* trawling through my files to find out where this might have come from.

As so often, it's posted in RogueClassicism, and the (indirect) quote reads:
Alexander the Great, the man who conquered the ancient world, said that those who develop new combat methods or who possess new arms will be triumphant.
It certainly doesn't ring an immediate bell, but perhaps we should start looking in Moralia?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Another spurious (?) quotation

Post by dean »

Hi Marcus,

very interesting quote, although I can't say that I have ever read it in any of the sources I have and I don't have Plutarch Moralial, although I understand that there are some editions of it available on the web.
I am surprised that a site such as the one you mentioned, should put up quotes and leave us to work out where they came from... :?
Anyway, hopefully some more enlightened soul than myself, will be able to fill us in...

Cheers,
Dean
carpe diem
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Sounds like a Lockheed Martin sales pitch or something...
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

New one on me, and it was Darius who changed his arms for Gaugamela don't remember him winning though. Alexander did not innovate but applied the tools his father had forged; unless they mean the Macedonian Hill Running Technique, a real (?) battle winner.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:I am surprised that a site such as the one you mentioned, should put up quotes and leave us to work out where they came from... :?
Anyway, hopefully some more enlightened soul than myself, will be able to fill us in...
I think the point was that the guy who runs RogueClassicism hadn't come across it, either!

If anyone does find a bona fide reference, then please do go on to RogueClassicism and give it to them. For some reason I was unable to register to leave comments - I don't know whether it was a bug, or something else, but it wouldn't accept my email address.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:New one on me, and it was Darius who changed his arms for Gaugamela don't remember him winning though. Alexander did not innovate but applied the tools his father had forged; unless they mean the Macedonian Hill Running Technique, a real (?) battle winner.
Indeed, good point!

This will almost certainly go down as one of the things that's ascribed to A the G. to lend it credence/authority.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I seem to recall a story in Valerius Maximus where he says that Carlsberg is the best Lager in the World, probably :D Or was that a dream? Barf that fizzy **** is a nightmare though it does taste better in Greece my lager drinking pooftah friends tell me; myself I'll stick to Retsina. PS don't mention the Ashes, we're still not at Thermopylai yet.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:I seem to recall a story in Valerius Maximus where he says that Carlsberg is the best Lager in the World, probably :D Or was that a dream? Barf that fizzy **** is a nightmare though it does taste better in Greece my lager drinking pooftah friends tell me; myself I'll stick to Retsina. PS don't mention the Ashes, we're still not at Thermopylai yet.
:D

The Valerius Maximus quote can be found in the same place as the famous Marcus Aurelius one: "I liked it so much, I bought the company" ... :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

agesilaos wrote:New one on me, and it was Darius who changed his arms for Gaugamela don't remember him winning though. Alexander did not innovate but applied the tools his father had forged; unless they mean the Macedonian Hill Running Technique, a real (?) battle winner.
<Laughing> Harold Lamb at his best!

Regards,
Sikander