The Syrian woman

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

The Syrian woman

Post by dean »

Hi,
I was quite intrigued by the short story mentioned quite uncharacteristically by Arrian regarding the plot of the pages.

A Syrian woman who supposedly had the gift of “second sight” was apparently taken initially as a bit of fun, but as her predictions turned out to be true, Alexander allowed her to visit him whenever she wanted, even to watch over him while he slept, (a quite risky move if you think about it)
As it turned out, she saved his life because Curtius as well as Arrian attest that she came to him as he was “coming away from his potations” and told him to “drink the night out”.This being on the same night as the pages were going to carry out their plan. Jokingly Alexander says to the woman that the Gods gave good advice and returns to his drinking.

The pages were all tortured and confessed to the plot thanks to Eurylochus who spilled the beans to Ptolemy, who in turn spoke to Alexander.

I was quite surprised that Plutarch with his emphasis on superstition etc makes no mention of this curious little story. I think that the story in itself is an interesting illustration of how Alexander was quite willing to take advice from the Persians.

Does anyone know if the story about the Syrian woman appears in any of the other sources?
Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Syrian woman

Post by rocktupac »

dean wrote: I was quite surprised that Plutarch with his emphasis on superstition etc makes no mention of this curious little story.
Especially interesting considering that Arrian says the story came from Aristobulus, who Plutarch followed in writing his Life of Alexander.
Does anyone know if the story about the Syrian woman appears in any of the other sources?
I couldn't find it in Plutarch (as you say), Diodorus or Justin. It is quite the odd story and very interesting.
-Scott B.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Thanks for posting this Dean. It's a very interesting story. I hadn't come across it before. It seems Alexander could be quite trusting, almost to the point where he must have baffled and even frustrated his security personnel. The letter warning him about the doctor also comes to mind. Also the flight of Harpolas.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

The issue though is accessibility, which was the Macedonians' gripe about Alexander's Persianisation. The Macedonian nobility would have regarded Alexander as 'first among equals' rather than better than them.

There is a story, told about Philip and Hadrian, that an old woman approached them to hear her suit. On being told by Philip, or Hadrian, that they didn't have time, her reply was that they should stop being king/emperor. Even if the story is apocryphal, it does demonstrate the right for citizens to approach the king - and his duty to hear them.

All of which makes the Pages plot, and the difficulty of informing Alexander about it, seem odd.
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Alexias....I like your points.

When I think of the Syrian Woman, I think of the "court jester"....note I am not saying that she was or that there was in fact any role like that in Alexander's time. However, perhaps she was perceived in that sort of light and allowed access that was not normally found for others. Or perhaps she was a kind of amusing "pet"...that is, if she actually existed. Though I like to think to think she did. If she was real, it offers a bit of a glimpse into Alexander's camp/court.

As for the stories you mention, I think that apocryphal is perhaps the right word. But then so much of Alexander's "history" is full of stories that could be seen as apocryphal. A frustration I have, lately, a lot.
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

athenas owl wrote: When I think of the Syrian Woman, I think of the "court jester"....note I am not saying that she was or that there was in fact any role like that in Alexander's time. However, perhaps she was perceived in that sort of light and allowed access that was not normally found for others. Or perhaps she was a kind of amusing "pet"...that is, if she actually existed. Though I like to think to think she did. If she was real, it offers a bit of a glimpse into Alexander's camp/court.
Arrian does say that Alexander and other personnel thought that she was exactly that: a sort of foolish/whimsical "pet" (as you say) -- something to be laughed at. It was only after the things she said would happen became true (oh to know what those were!) that Alexander took her in more intimately. To me, she seems more like a traveling oracle who became a sort of personal psychic to Alexander. It would also be interesting to know what Aristander thought of her. Besides this one instance it doesn't seem like she is mentioned again, so her "ability" to predict the future must not have been with her for very long.
-Scott B.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Semiramis wrote: It seems Alexander could be quite trusting, almost to the point where he must have baffled and even frustrated his security personnel.
I too am trusting when the "woman" instructs me to and drink the night away. One should never look a gift guzzle in the pint.
rocktupac wrote:Especially interesting considering that Arrian says the story came from Aristobulus...
Exactly. Pardon my cynicism but this is the self same source which noted:
Alexander used to have long drinking parties, not for the purpose of enjoying the wine, as he was not a great wine-drinker, but in order to exhibit his sociality and friendly feeling to his Companions. (Arr. 7.29.4)
Given that Alexander is recorded as drinking until dawn here we have perfect excusatory reason: he was instructed to do so by a seer. I will run that one by my wife should I overstep the bounds on Melbourne Cup day…

The story about Philip is almost certainly a topos. It is repeated – near verbatim – about Demetrius.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

A number of interesting points were made, especially about the Syrian woman being able to visit Alexander whenever she chose, it does seem a bit unusual. The analogy that I have would be that of a superstar. It isn't possible for the famous to speak to each and every fan individually otherwise these people would never be able to carry on a normal life so too, was I imagining a similar situation with Alexander. Which is why I find it hard to imagine that a Syrian soothsayer could have ended up spending all night vigils over Alexander.

and also other instances when Alexander took risks that would be more in line with someone with a death wish/ especially as mentioned taking the medicine from Philip, I mean would you really do that? (unless you had changed the glass beforehand and knew it couldn't do you any harm) Also, his trust in conquered kings, such as Porus for example. I suppose that this went against him on some occasions.

There are a number of questions left- what were the original predictions made that gave her such good credibility and what happened after? Did she simply stop being the flavour of the month? I guess such questions will never be answered.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

There's one other brief mention of the Syrian woman in Alexander's Itinerary (Anonymous from - I think - the 4th century A.D.)
Alexander's Itinerary 41
…These friends of Hermolaus boiled with rage over what they took to be a monstrous injury; they plotted to make a concerted attack in the king's sleeping quarters, on Antipater's night on duty. The plan failed; the king had prolonged his carousing right through the night. Some accounts have it that he was restrained from retiring by a female Syrian soothsayer, who feared there was some secret mischief afoot in the royal precinct; that she had come to believe this through many a premonition; and that the plot was then betrayed to Ptolemy who exposed it. This version continues to the effect that Callisthenes' thinking was suspected (because of the latter's previous vain attempt at plain speaking) of underlying his pupil's criminal intention — although Hermolaus even under the full severity of various tortures complained of nothing other than his chastisement, and uttered no word of confession.
Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:There's one other brief mention of the Syrian woman in Alexander's Itinerary (Anonymous from - I think - the 4th century A.D.)
It is indeed 4th century - dedicated to Constantius II (emperor 337-361). Probably written around 350. (But you knew this if your version is the one published in AHB, as my copy was! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi,

thanks a lot for the quote.

To be honest, I hadn´t even heard of such a text.

Something that was mentioned in another thread which I found interesting regarding Bagoas was language.

I mean, a Syrian soothsayer, would have had to have spoken Greek, I suppose, to be able to have communicated to Alexander at all. She is said to have approached him as he was adjourning from his "potations" which to my mind would indicate that she was able to communicate to him well in Greek if she had told him that he should drink the night out. I guess this just shows that at the time Alexander was into drinking in a big way for he accedes instantly.

Her odd and unique entrance and exit from Arrian´s narrative to me has a smack of poetic licence. If she had successfully predicted and averted Alexander´s assassination then you would have thought that she would have been taken to the Hindu Kush and back. Curioser and curioser.

Peucestes saves Alexander and his status goes from good to amazingly good, then it seems strange that she should have fallen into oblivion after such a major event.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

dean wrote:Her odd and unique entrance and exit from Arrian´s narrative to me has a smack of poetic licence.
Thus Aristobulos convinces himself of the necessity of Alexander's binge-drinking session: not that Alexander wanted to go drink himself into an insensate sunrise; he had to as a seer instructed him too. Noteworthy too is Arrian's comment when relating the murder of Cleitus that Aristobulos does not “mention the occasion of the drinking bout” which led to the murder. One can only assume the lack of an accommodating seer.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu