Cicero on Philip Letter to Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

SKY

Cicero on Philip Letter to Alexander

Post by SKY »

Cicero in his "De Officiis" mentions a letter Philip sent to Alexander rebuking him for handing out money to citizens.

Is this letter mentioned any place else?

Thank you

Sky
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Cicero on Philip Letter to Alexander

Post by marcus »

SKY wrote:Cicero in his "De Officiis" mentions a letter Philip sent to Alexander rebuking him for handing out money to citizens.

Is this letter mentioned any place else?
Sorry, not that I am aware of. Others might know better ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
adisciplus

Post by adisciplus »

I believe one of the Alexander Romances also contains the story of Philip rebuking Alexander (and Aristotle defending him) for trying to buy allegiances. Since Philip (and Persia) were renowned for using well placed bribes to accomplish political aims, this story may be trying to paint Philip as a hypocrite than truly illustrating a fatherly rebuke.

A second interpretation is that Aristotle in his Politics (and thus likely in his instruction to Alexander) suggests that good rulers are judged for the gifts they bestow on others. Given the numerous stories of Alexander's gifts, this story may likewise try to distinguish Alexander's generosity as surpassing his father's.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

This post makes me think that Philip rebuked Alexander quite often. I recall an incident where Philip rebuked him for his comments about the Sacred Band and their lifestyle, and another incident where Philip made fun of his singing ability. Seems like Philip put Alexander down on more than one occasion if any of these stories are true. Perhaps, it was the father/son relationship of constant criticism being a sign of caring when nothing else would show his interest in his son... but confusing bribes with gift giving is a bit much...that Philip! Is he really jealous? :idea: :idea: