Discovering Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Discovering Alexander

Post by jan »

Hello Fingy,

A continuation of my post from Finding Alexander in France. I have been fascinated with the Japanese anime version of Alexander that AO posted and so I watched it last evening...my mind works rapidly when seeing interesting and novel versions such as these are.

One scene in particular made me think of WWII and the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hirsohima and Nagasaki. Only the Japanese could possibly make me make a connection from Alexander the Great to Harry Truman.

A series on Diogenes the Dog was most illuminating, as I liked the author's ability to think how and why Diogenes would have made such a statement...and the sunshine became a metaphor for the Bible and Jesus to me, as Alexander must move over in history even to make room for the new Christ peacemaker god. It is quite interesting how this Japanese depiction made me think of that, as where I lived in Michigan, we had a Sunshine Bible store...that is why I am sure I made that kind of jump.

The artwork at the Louvre and the Chateau will be there for years to come. In a previous post which I had to rewrite, I mentioned that today's leaders are caught on film. Whether film will last for centuries is doubtful at best, but perhaps there may be a way to preserve it so that future generations will have that much to know what Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill and Hitler looked like. But it is possible that film will be destroyed if planetary problems occur.

Right now, most film that I took in the 60's is obsolete. Finding a projector even to show it is no longer possible. We cannot imagine what life will be like 100 years from now but for sure our computer technology will be totally changed from what it is now to what it may become.

But legends of Alexander will persist...won't they?
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Discovering Alexander

Post by dean »

Hello,
I initially got interested in Alexander through the Valerio Manfredi series.
Although the series hasn't won the Nobel prize for historical literature, I nevertheless thought that I couldn't have struck upon a better beginners work to start with.

Guess fire from Heaven and the persian boy were the next novels about Alexander I read and then Renault's "Nature of Alexander"

Cheers,
Dean
carpe diem