A quote...attributed to Alexander or Achilles?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

A quote...attributed to Alexander or Achilles?

Post by ruthaki »

I've been searching thru my research notes trying to find a quote that I think was attributed to Alexander (or it might have been from the Iliad, a quote from Achilles.)
It begins something like "to die with honor..." Does anyone know about this?
Much appreciated if you have the info.
Callisto
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Callisto »

Hi,

I am not certain if this is what you are looking for but in Iliad, Hector says just before he dies "My doom has come upon me. Let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that shall be told among men hereafter."
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks, I may be able to use this if I don't find another.
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Achilles and Alexander

Post by dean »

Hi Ruthaki,

don't know but the quote you are "quoting" sounds a lot like "- Alexander the Great. . . "It is a lovely thing to live with great courage and die leaving an everlasting fame." somewhere lodged in Arrian.

Certainly Achilles would have approved- for it was simply paraphrased from Homer, much the same way, Shakespeare did from Plutarch.(although I suppose, actually to believe that we have a real, word for word quote of Alexander is a tall order)
Whilst on the subject, Ialso loved the quote,
"Alexander received more bravery of mind by the pattern of Achilles, than by hearing the definition of fortitude.”
Sir Philip Sidney (English Statesman, 1554-1586)
Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Quote by Alexander

Post by ruthaki »

Yes, I think that's the quote I was trying to remember ...or close enough to it.
Thanks for your help.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Polyperchon vs Kassandros in Thessaly

Post by ruthaki »

I seem to have misplaced some info I had, the name of the officer Kassandros sent with some of the army to confront Polyperchon in Thessaly. And would anyone know the name(s) of any of Polyperchon's officers?

I am not sure there was an actual battle when Kassandros' men came to Thessaly, but I believe Polyperchon signed some kind of a truce deal. Anyone got any details about this?

Still plodding on toward the end of my novel and trying to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks in advance for any of your shared wisdom.