Evolution In warfare

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

Evolution In warfare

Post by jasonxx »

I would like to pick up a point with warfare and the particular new breed and monster darius was facing that no prior Persian King faced.

That was the evolution of the type of warfare Philip and Alexander brought. Its fair to say that Persian forces faced not particular greek forces before that once they won or lost would leave things alone. primarily bothered with seasonal fighting in haste to bring in crops.

Darius however was facing a machine this the idea of full on attack and seek and destroy. Alexanders war machine was in the relatively new busness off mowing you down on mass even whilsdt in retreat to make sure your eliminated.

Its fare to say prior to Philip and Alexander wars in that area were reasonably civilised and silly to say less dangerous. I just wonder in relation to Alexanders force just how war like the Persian Armies were?

whick makes me wonder about the lesser known Indians bactrian. Wherethey more warlike and up for a fight than there relatively soft Persians. I dont mean militarilistically soft amybe there views towards war. Its accepted the Persians didnt have any more authority over theindians etcthan Alexander and some say they even paid tolls.

Its been said Alexanders hardest campaigns in the east were the stiffest and Id say probably yes. Is it to do with different warrior types and outlooks to war.

apart from Xonophons little party. I doubt the persians was anything as destructive and viscious comming towards them as Alexander. maybe some of the apathy towards Alexander initially had something to do with maybe the Persians thought the Macedonians would fight for summer then head off back to greece to bake cakes and sow the harvest/

kenny
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Well Kenny,

Persian Army was a motley crew of ethnicities most of whom were themselves conquered by the Persian empire. Now they were having to do the fighting for the empire because Darius III had summoned them. Some of the places that fell the earliest to Alexander had been rebelling against the Persians not too long ago. Ionia, Egypt, Babylon. Don't know if the local population was too "loyal" to Persian rule to start with.

Bactrians/Sogdinians/Indians on the other hand could be seen to be defending their own lands from an invader rather than fighting for any empire? So the motivation may have been different. Moreover, they were fighting on familiar terrain compared to the battles in Susa and Gaugamela - which were fought by soldiers recruited into Darius' army from all ends of the world.