Reasons why Alexander was great?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Well, mostly because of war's continuing popularity. Being amoral - that is, unaware of the difference between right and wrong, unable even to see that there is a difference - is such a rare thing, and aggressive conquerors haven't, through history, been uncommon, so it's hard to see all of them as amoral.
I think it's more usual for the would-be conqueror to come up with some plausible justification. Liberate Ionia, rescue x from Catholicism, rescue y from Protestantism, bring democracy to z, or what you will. This may self-deluding, it may even be dishonest. That would possibly make it immoral, but not amoral.

Fiona
Semiramis wrote:
Fiona wrote:Amoral by our standards? That would imply that anyone who wages aggressive war is, ipso facto, amoral. I wouldn't go as far as that.
Why not? :)
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

Hi amyntoros,
just answering the specific points you made here:
amyntoros wrote: Hmm, I would say that the cities weren't for the benefit of the lands Alexander conquered, but for the benefit of Alexander! They were either built in strategic defense positions and garrisoned with Macedonians, or, in the case of Alexandria in particular, built again in a strategic position but for the purpose of enhancing trade routes.
Well, but they weren't called garrisons, were they? They were called cities, with temples and other fine buildings being planned for them.That suggests to me that they were as much for the benefit of the local people as for the soldiers left on garrison duty. Perhaps this is another example of his doing something that at one and the same time, satisfies his hard-headed common sense, and his vision of future possibilities. I do agree that his cities were intended to improve and promote trade. Arrian mentions 'prosperity' at least once, as a given reason for the foundation of a city. No doubt Alexander's own prosperity would be part of this, but for that to happen, in the form of taxes and tributes, the local population would first have had to become prosperous themselves.

amyntoros wrote:
I’ve argued this before to some degree – IMO it would have been undesirable on Alexander's part to forbid the Macedonian army to rape. He needed his army to be happy and his army desired women. And captive women, even if they end up as “partners,” are initially subjected to rape. It's not important to this discussion how the relationships may have developed further over the years of the campaign; in the beginning it was rape and I am unable to see it as anything else. This was the nature of warfare at the time. That Alexander didn't do so himself, I acknowledge. But he didn't need to.

If I've missed some other reference, please let me know. :)
I'm really puzzled now, because I don't for a moment think you would have missed a reference, and yet it wasn't Thebes or Persepolis I was thinking of. Yet I can't for the life of me find the reference I'm looking for. Maybe I dreamed it. Stranger things have happened. But the one I have been searching for left me with the strong impression that the injunction against rape was part of standing orders. It concerned two (I think it was two) soldiers who were hanged for the crime of rape.
However, that Alexander ever, even once, forbade rape, supports the view that he could not have been amoral, which was my reason for mentioning it, amongst other examples of moral behaviour.

Fiona
Callisto
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Callisto »

Fiona wrote: But the one I have been searching for left me with the strong impression that the injunction against rape was part of standing orders. It concerned two (I think it was two) soldiers who were hanged for the crime of rape.
However, that Alexander ever, even once, forbade rape, supports the view that he could not have been amoral, which was my reason for mentioning it, amongst other examples of moral behaviour.

Fiona
I believe this is what you are looking for.

Furthermore, on learning that Damon and Timotheus, two Macedonian soldiers under Parmenion's command had raped the wives of certain mercenaries, he wrote to Parmenio ordering him, in case the men were convicted, to punish them and put them to death as wild beasts born for the destruction of mankind.

Plutarch, Life of Alexander 22.2
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Fiona wrote:Well, but they weren't called garrisons, were they? They were called cities, with temples and other fine buildings being planned for them.That suggests to me that they were as much for the benefit of the local people as for the soldiers left on garrison duty.
No, not in polite company. For which read those about to be left behind in the middle of nowhere. I’m certain that Alexander didn’t mention “garrison town” when selecting the individuals who’d spend the rest of their natural lives miles from nowhere.

The “local people” were dispossessed (and often transferred) and reduced to the status of serf labour for their masters who would get to enjoy the temples and fine buildings whilst ensuring that the locals didn’t rise up behind the ever departing Alexander.

Life in such towns seems to have been akin to serving on the “eastern front”. If we trust our sources, some 20,000 of these individuals decamped at the news of the king’s death – indeed many were already up and moving at the mere rumour – and marched west away from their Hellenic cultural outposts.

They fought an army led by Peithon rather than return to their prior existence. They were also massacred for their trouble.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Fiona wrote:Well, mostly because of war's continuing popularity. Being amoral - that is, unaware of the difference between right and wrong, unable even to see that there is a difference - is such a rare thing, and aggressive conquerors haven't, through history, been uncommon, so it's hard to see all of them as amoral.
I think it's more usual for the would-be conqueror to come up with some plausible justification. Liberate Ionia, rescue x from Catholicism, rescue y from Protestantism, bring democracy to z, or what you will. This may self-deluding, it may even be dishonest. That would possibly make it immoral, but not amoral.

Fiona
Semiramis wrote:
Fiona wrote:Amoral by our standards? That would imply that anyone who wages aggressive war is, ipso facto, amoral. I wouldn't go as far as that.
Why not? :)
Totally agree. Waging an aggressive war might be immoral, but I would say that the last thing it is is amoral.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Callisto wrote:
Fiona wrote: But the one I have been searching for left me with the strong impression that the injunction against rape was part of standing orders. It concerned two (I think it was two) soldiers who were hanged for the crime of rape.

Fiona
I believe this is what you are looking for.

Furthermore, on learning that Damon and Timotheus, two Macedonian soldiers under Parmenion's command had raped the wives of certain mercenaries, he wrote to Parmenio ordering him, in case the men were convicted, to punish them and put them to death as wild beasts born for the destruction of mankind.

Plutarch, Life of Alexander 22.2
And the only thing that this tells us is that Alexander disapproved of his soldiers raping the wives of other soldiers under his command, because it would cause problems within the ranks of his army. This says nothing about whether he, as a matter of course, imposed any injunction against raping the wives and daughters of those who made the mistake of standing up to him when he invaded their country.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Paralus wrote:It really comes down to guesswork: Arrian says that the 20,000 infantry, offered no quarter by the king, was slaughtered; Diodorus from memory, claims ten thousand dead and I can’t recall Curtius.
I'm curious: do you beleve a single one of those figures?

Beyond that, I reiterate. The main difference between the battles you cite and the ones from earlier in the 4th century (and 5th century) BCE is a matter of scale and capability.
Why don’t we just agree that it will have required both. Matters not the capability if you don’t have the attitude to use it.
I think it's pretty safe to say that the attitude was there. Syracuse, Melos, Aegospotami, and the many known instances where we know that even heavily-laden hoplites felt the need to pursue their fleeing counterparts.
I might add that there was no “great slaughter” at Chaeronea (such as it is attested). ... The “slaughter”, such as it occurred, was at the Theban end where the “Sacred Band” was surrounded and spitted to death by the phalanx. Oddly enough, this was the end commanded by Alexander. We have, from memory, no reliable Boeotian casualty figure, just “many”.
The political situation wasn't the same the first time as it was the second. Killing the Sacred Band, on the other hand, was not just good policy--it may well have been justified given the course of the battle. I don't recall any record of the 300 select Thebans offering to surrender, and I'd be surprised if this were the case.
Philip appears not to have surrounded and slaughtered the Athenian wing. Perhaps he possessed no cavalry?
Perhaps, perhaps not. His army only had 2,000 cavalry (probably a rounded-off number, to boot). I can't really recall how most modern writers assign the splitting of the cavalry force between the two wings (I really am hating not having my books here), and Diodorus isn't very specific.

Given the situation, though, I would say that ensuring a victory and doing optimal damage to the soldiers of the nearby city-state trumped chasing down runaways from a city Phillip wasn't even planning on assaulting yet.
“A” Hellenic state which commanded it. It was raised from manyHellenic states.
So? I never claimed otherwise. Unless you're arguing Athens isn't a Hellenic state, I'm not sure what your point is here. I said it was a force raised by a Hellenic state. It's an entirely factual correct statement and I can only imagine confusion regarding the force's intra-Hellenic ethnic makeup arising only if the audience was ignorant about the subject matter--and I know this isn't the case for you.

[quot]There was no “chase down” of fleeing foes at the Granicus; nor at the Hydaspes. The infantry, on both occasions, was hemmed in by cavalry and slaughtered by the Macedonian infantry.[/quote]
I'm not sure where the confusion lies. The very presence of a cavalry force thousands strong necessitated that the Granicus hoplites make their defensive stand where they did. Making a run for it would have been suicide.
I’m certain that Alexander didn’t mention “garrison town” when selecting the individuals who’d spend the rest of their natural lives miles from nowhere.
And yet those cities that survived to our time (as ruins or otherwise) were far from mere garrison towns. However obstinate and unhappy the would-be settlers were about their location, it still doesn't mean that Alexander envisioned a series of military outposts. If Arrian or Diodorus are at all accurate about the legacy he wanted to establish, this was but the opening act for a much grander play.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Amyntoros wrote:I’ve argued this before to some degree – IMO it would have been undesirable on Alexander's part to forbid the Macedonian army to rape. He needed his army to be happy and his army desired women. And captive women, even if they end up as “partners,” are initially subjected to rape. It's not important to this discussion how the relationships may have developed further over the years of the campaign; in the beginning it was rape and I am unable to see it as anything else. This was the nature of warfare at the time. That Alexander didn't do so himself, I acknowledge. But he didn't need to.
Though I generally agree for the most part with what you write, Amyntoros, I must take issue with this. I think what you are saying is that Alexander didn't need to rape because he could easily find sexual partners. If so, you are confusing two things that are not only not the same, but at their essence diametrically opposed -- sex and rape.

Sex is at the very least an expression of intense appreciation of another person -- at best it's an expression of love. Rape isn't about love, or even sexual attraction; it's about power and control, and is an expression of unleashed anger and hate. The message behind rape is "I can do this to you and you can't stop me." It is essentially destructive, same as the sack of a defeated city, and the rapists take pleasure in that destruction as proof of their power. Rape is a perverse twisting of sex, a use of the body's built-in pathways of vulnerability for the deepest personal violation and humiliation. Certainly people get the two confused; but the confusion doesn't stop them from being two opposite things. A lot of people get pain and pleasure mixed up too, and yet we know they are opposites.

In war rape was (and still is) used as a means of driving home the point that the defeated are indeed defeated and helpless, and for the victors to assert their power and control over the defeated. Thus, in my mind, the reason for a king or general to allow an army to do this was that it was both a tactic to demoralize defeated peoples into permanent submission, and a traditional reward to the army for its work in attaining the victory -- part of the spoils, in other words. The reward is not the pleasure of sex: it's the pleasure of the power trip of destruction.

In ancient times when each woman was legally under the control of a man and effectively considered his property, and when brides must be virgins so that a woman who'd been deflowered was unmarriageable, rape was also a way of literally seizing control of women whose kinsmen had been killed. "I've ****ed you, so now you're mine" was something they weren't in much of a position to argue with, when possession by a man also provided protection by him from other men. Thus rape could also be a means of enslavement -- acquiring human property.

I have to differ particularly with the statement that Alexander didn't rape because he didn't need to. Really, no one needs to; while sexual desire is a natural need, evolved into us for the purpose of species preservation, the urge to exert power and control in such a violent way is not. Now men may want to, perhaps to compensate for their own sense of helplessness, or fear -- as the average soldier suffers on the battlefield, whether he represses it or not. But that's not a genuine need; a mentally-healthy male, though he might be capable of the act, can do without it. (And if you think I am implying here that war drives at least some soldiers crazy to some degree, you'd be right.)

As well, to say that Alexander didn't need to rape because he had easy access to sexual partners is to suggest that rape is caused by sexual deprivation. It's not. What research has turned up in the past few decades is nicely summarized here on a University of Southern California student affairs website:
Rape is an act of violence, not sex. It is not the result of sexual desire or sexual deprivation. Perpetrators tend to be motivated by control and anger. Part of their gratification comes from gaining power over the victim or discharging anger. For example, heterosexual men have raped gay men as a form of gay bashing, acts based on hate.
Rape and sex being such very different things, it's quite possible for a man to have desire for one and not the other. While all healthy men have sexual desire, a lot of them -- the vast majority, I like to think -- are either not interested in or averse to committing rape. So while Alexander must have had sexual desire (though apparently less than average, if the story about his parents contracting an hetaira to awaken his libido has any truth) I think he didn't rape because he simply had no desire to, and didn't feel it was tactically necessary.

Warmly,
Karen
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Phoebus wrote:
Paralus wrote:It really comes down to guesswork: Arrian says that the 20,000 infantry, offered no quarter by the king, was slaughtered; Diodorus from memory, claims ten thousand dead and I can’t recall Curtius.
I'm curious: do you beleve a single one of those figures?

Beyond that, I reiterate. The main difference between the battles you cite and the ones from earlier in the 4th century (and 5th century) BCE is a matter of scale and capability..
Are you a cutting grown from my good self?

You have my view of the figures. Ya reads your books; ya forms your view.

Again, can we agree that both will have been necessary? And, further, that both were not always present?

The battle of Leuktra, which you equate with the death toll at Granicus, is a case in point. The Thebans owed the Lacedaemonians far more than a beating in the field. It is surprising that, after the rout of the Spartan right, a full-on bloodbath did not occur. One of the believable aspects of the thoroughly appaled Xenophon’s account is that the Spartans must have retreated in some order to their camp and palisade as they manged to get Kleombrotus’ body back there.

Xenophon, horrified at the fall of his idolised state, even writes of the fact that (some of) the Peloponnesian allies were actually pleased with the result. As the Spartan left played little – if any – role in the battle, one might be excused for thinking that the Thebans will have surrounded the Lacedaemonians and slaughtered them. This seems not to have happened.

Ditto Mantinea in 418 “certainly the greatest battle that had taken place for a very long time among Hellenic states”. In a battle, which was absolutely crucial for the Spartans, Thucydides documents a furious clash of arms that resulted in some 1,100 of the “allied” force dead (Thuc 5.74). The Spartans were buried before the armistice and so are guessed at 300. These numbers due to the fact that:
The Spartans will fight for a long time, stubbornly holding their ground until the moment they put their enemy to flight; but once this moment comes, they do not follow him up a great way of for long. (Thuc. 5.73)
One suspects that, had Alexander been in charge, that they will have followed the enemy for some considerable distance. And, yes, there was cavalry on both of the Spartan wings. No, they were not the Companion Cavalry. They did not pursue though. Rather they were happy to ensure the mastery of the field.
Phoebus wrote:
I might add that there was no “great slaughter” at Chaeronea (such as it is attested). ... The “slaughter”, such as it occurred, was at the Theban end where the “Sacred Band” was surrounded and spitted to death by the phalanx. Oddly enough, this was the end commanded by Alexander. We have, from memory, no reliable Boeotian casualty figure, just “many”.
The political situation wasn't the same the first time as it was the second. Killing the Sacred Band, on the other hand, was not just good policy--it may well have been justified given the course of the battle. I don't recall any record of the 300 select Thebans offering to surrender, and I'd be surprised if this were the case.
I was making no such comparison between any first or second time. I was referring only to the battle of Chaeronea in 338. They may well not have surrendered, they may have asked for quarter. We do not know. We know only that Alexander “was the first to break the ranks of the Sacred band” and that they were slaughtered. Indeed their mound has turned up some 254 skeletons. It is most likely this was done on foot by use of the sarissa which far outstripped the hoplite spear in reach.

Again, how many other Boeotians “many” constitutes is anyone’s guess.
Phoebus wrote:
There was no “chase down” of fleeing foes at the Granicus; nor at the Hydaspes. The infantry, on both occasions, was hemmed in by cavalry and slaughtered by the Macedonian infantry.
I'm not sure where the confusion lies. The very presence of a cavalry force thousands strong necessitated that the Granicus hoplites make their defensive stand where they did. Making a run for it would have been suicide..
Well the descriptions we have might argue otherwise:
Alexander soon checked the pursuit of them (the Persian cavalry) in order to turn his attention to the foreign mercenaries, who had remained in their original postion, shoulder to shoulder – not, indeed, from any deliberate intention of proving their courage, but simply because the suddenness of the disaster had deprived them of their wits. (Arrian, Anab, 1.16)
The enemy, however, did not resist vigorously, nor for a long time, but fled in a rout, all except the Greek mercenaries. These made a stand at a certain eminence, and asked that Alexander should promise them quarter. But he, influenced by anger more than by reason, charged foremost upon them and lost his horse, which was smitten through the ribs with a sword (it was not Bucephalas, but another); and most of the Macedonians who were slain or wounded fought or fell there, since they came to close quarters with men who knew how to fight and were desperate. (Plut. Alex, 16.13-14)
One, I suppose, could take his or her pick. I rather suggest a combination of the two. The asking for quarter though rings true – to my ears. They were not ever going to seriously make a stand against the entirety of Alexander’s army. In the event, citing the “League of Corinth”, Alexander surrounded and massacred them.

My view of the “garrison” towns of empire is clear. That some survived the empire they were ostensibly to protect is of little import in a "spreading of Hellenic culture" sense. These belong to a flourishing well after Alexander and during the decline of the Seleucid Empire. They are an entire subject to themselves. Yes indeed the Greek hangovers remained: the temples, gymnasia et al. These are most aptly demonstated by Ai Khanum.

The kings, beginning with a certain rebellious Greek Seleucid satrap Diodotus (though it might well be argued that Stassanor, the Greek satrap that Antigonus could in no way remove was the first) were “separatists”. Diodotus’ son (of the same name) expanded the territory of the enclave until Euthydemus killed him and continued the process. This fellow ended up seeing-off Antiochus III (the “Great”) and fathering Demetrius I and so down through Menander and eventually to the inevitable overrunning by Saca nomads and the death of Helocles its last king.

All the way through, though, this was an enclave – an implant. Indeed, the enclave had so well cut itself from its surrounds that it succeeded in cutting itself off from the Greek west even more so.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

karen wrote: As well, to say that Alexander didn't need to rape because he had easy access to sexual partners is to suggest that rape is caused by sexual deprivation. It's not ...

Rape and sex being such very different things, it's quite possible for a man to have desire for one and not the other. While all healthy men have sexual desire, a lot of them -- the vast majority, I like to think -- are either not interested in or averse to committing rape. So while Alexander must have had sexual desire (though apparently less than average, if the story about his parents contracting an hetaira to awaken his libido has any truth) I think he didn't rape because he simply had no desire to, and didn't feel it was tactically necessary.
What I wrote was an admittedly rather flippant comment which wasn't meant to have any reference to Alexander's own sexual desires, just that he was in a different position from his regular army. I was hoping in this instance to keep the focus on the soldiers and not Alexander. That they did also have sexual desires and the need for the company of women is surely uncontested, however their Macedonian wives (if they had them) were far away.
In war rape was (and still is) used as a means of driving home the point that the defeated are indeed defeated and helpless, and for the victors to assert their power and control over the defeated. Thus, in my mind, the reason for a king or general to allow an army to do this was that it was both a tactic to demoralize defeated peoples into permanent submission, and a traditional reward to the army for its work in attaining the victory -- part of the spoils, in other words. The reward is not the pleasure of sex: it's the pleasure of the power trip of destruction.
I had said that Alexander "needed his army to be happy and his army desired women" and your quote above calls them a traditional reward to the army for its work in attaining the victory – part of the spoils. They wouldn't have been a reward or considered spoils if they weren't desirable in some sense and that was my meaning. Whatever the point of rape at the end of a battle, the situation that arose was that Alexander allowed his Macedonian army to take these captive women along with them. They didn't rape and then leave them behind because at the end of the campaign after Alexander offered them payment, around 10,000 of them actually married the women. Which means that once those women were attached to the train of camp followers then it was about sexual desire and/or female companionship. There's been some argument on previous threads that (some of) these women might have gone willingly. The point that I was making was that these "relationships" began with rape and that is a fact that is usually ignored on the forum.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Fiona wrote:Well, mostly because of war's continuing popularity. Being amoral - that is, unaware of the difference between right and wrong, unable even to see that there is a difference - is such a rare thing, and aggressive conquerors haven't, through history, been uncommon, so it's hard to see all of them as amoral.
I think it's more usual for the would-be conqueror to come up with some plausible justification. Liberate Ionia, rescue x from Catholicism, rescue y from Protestantism, bring democracy to z, or what you will. This may self-deluding, it may even be dishonest.
That would possibly make it immoral, but not amoral.
Beautifully put Fiona. To apply this to Alexander, did he actually believe in his own 'plausible justifications' (cf money and power) for aggression? We have to remember that the pan-Hellenism stage of the campaign officially ended, supplanted by the need to avenge Darius' death as the cause for further conquest. For his later conquest in India, sources don't even mention any justification.

As you know, I don't believe Alexander (well, Phillp's really) pan-Hellenic propaganda was terribly convincing to the Greeks. Regarding avenging Darius' death, Alexander was happy to forgive Nebarzanes, the other killer of Darius who had surrendered to him. Suggesting that Alexander himself hadn't deluded himself into believing this one.

So, that leaves us asking again... what made Alexander great? Was it those cities bearing his name?
Fiona wrote: Well, but they weren't called garrisons, were they? They were called cities, with temples and other fine buildings being planned for them.That suggests to me that they were as much for the benefit of the local people as for the soldiers left on garrison duty. Perhaps this is another example of his doing something that at one and the same time, satisfies his hard-headed common sense, and his vision of future possibilities.
Mere garrisons or beacons of Hellenic civilization? Do the temples, gymnasia etc. suggest that they were created to impart the benefits of Greek learning and culture to the natives? Here's an interesting factor to consider regarding these cultural centres. Did the local population actually have access to these buildings? Without access, how are the natives to fulfil any visions of Alexander's? Speaking of Alexander's vision, is there any evidence that Alexander harboured a desire to Hellenize the non-Greeks living near these towns? Or were temples simple opiates for the settlers stationed (abandoned?) so far from home?

Take care
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Semiramis wrote:Mere garrisons or beacons of Hellenic civilization? Do the temples, gymnasia etc. suggest that they were created to impart the benefits of Greek learning and culture to the natives? Here's an interesting factor to consider regarding these cultural centres. Did the local population actually have access to these buildings?]
After Alexander's death, definitely not. Had he lived? I think matters would have been different. The Macedonian state at that time in large part focused on military participation and accolades. Asian participation in the King's army would have been difficult on the long term without some sort of inclusiviness off of the battlefield. The emphasis on teaching those future soldiers Hellenic and dressing them up to the part kind of reinforces that.
Speaking of Alexander's vision, is there any evidence that Alexander harboured a desire to Hellenize the non-Greeks living near these towns? Or were temples simple opiates for the settlers stationed (abandoned?) so far from home?
Part of the plans Alexander had for the future involved large-scale population transplanting. Combine this with the military aspect (above), and one might guess that any social egalitarianism may have come about courtesy of the dillution of native culture and language in favor of a Hellenic standard. Pretty scary, if you ask me.
derek

Post by derek »

Fiona,

I use my work computer for the internet so only saw your post this morning, and most of the queries you raised about mine have already been discussed by others. If I knew how to do quotes, I'd insert them. Anyway:

"For example, Porus resisted, but was not crushed"

Yes, Porus fought Alexander and was reinstalled. So were Mazeus and Artabazus. Putting the old administration back to work reassured the locals and discouraged rebellion. As Porus' kingdom was going to be the eastern edge of Alexander's empire, reinstalling him was a better move than killing him out of spite. But look at Batis and Bessus. Gaza was going to be leveled so didn't need a governor, and Bessus died to make it seem like Alexander was avenging Darius' murder on behalf of the Persians. When Alexander forgave, it wasn't out of mercy or kindness, but because he had something to gain by doing so.

"these are not the behaviours of an amoral person, are they?"

I called Alexander amoral "by our standards", and deliberately included the caveat. He led a very moral and upright life "by his standards", yet he brought death and misery to hundreds of thousands. I doubt it even occurred to him that he may be doing anything wrong, and that's what makes him amoral by our standards.

"And cold? Alexander? Are we talking about the same person here?"

You bet he was cold. He murdered several of his closest friends. He assassinated his best general. He killed his cousin. He may have killed his father. He'd rub out anyone. But - he was a product of his environment.

Derek
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Paralus wrote:Are you a cutting grown from my good self?

You have my view of the figures. Ya reads your books; ya forms your view.
I have. I'm asking for yours.
Again, can we agree that both will have been necessary? And, further, that both were not always present?
Yes to the former, a qualified no to the latter.
One suspects that, had Alexander been in charge, that they will have followed the enemy for some considerable distance.
Yes, if he had the resources available to him in the late 4th century BCE.
And, yes, there was cavalry on both of the Spartan wings. No, they were not the Companion Cavalry.
Therein lies the difference for me.
I was making no such comparison between any first or second time.
If we're just talking about the first battle, then I'm not sure what the issue is. The Athenians broke; we know this. The Thebans, on the other hand, were fighting nearby their city, and the Sacred Band in particular was far less likely to have broken (like the Athenians) or surrendered. Given this... what is the point of raising Alexander's conduct here.
Well the descriptions we have might argue otherwise:
I'm not sure how; take away Arrian's "loss of wits" theory, and what you have is heavily-laden infantry who are probably smart enough to realize they can't run far enough fast enough. I mean, who would they think Alexander would go after? Fleeing cavalry, or the other part of the infantry force--the part referred to as levies? They sensibly took the high ground in a defensive position. Smart move; too bad Alexander didn't prove to be any more forgiving than many of his predecessors.

Where the garission towns are concerned, I agree with your views insofar as how those settlements turned out. I simply feel that Alexander had other plans for them.
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Derek,

I beg to differ on some points. Cleitus was murdered in a fit of murdered rage. Bessus received a punishment that was cruel, but intentionally so--for his treasonous actions. These and other actions fall fully within the parameters of the sort of man the evidence indicates he aspired to be like--a dynamic, generous, but also wrathful Achilles. This sort of man could, and would (in my humble opinion) visit horrible vengeance on a resisting city but also act magnanimously toward a defeated--but proud and defiant--foe. And let us not remember that, when Alexander had defeated Porus, he was not looking for that man's lands to be the eastern border. That limitation was imposed on him after the fact.

As for Parmenion? We may never know the entire truth, but if the old man and/or his son really were involved in a conspiracy, there was little choice left to Alexander.