City of Perita???

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Sandra
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

City of Perita???

Post by Sandra »

Hello, Companions! I am quite surprised about one thing - maybe I didn't know that... Yesterday I watched some game ( Who wants to be a millionare) and there was a question regarding ATG. Question was like - all his new-founded cities ATG called Alexandria, excepting one, which he named Perita in honour of his dog. Was that right? If so- where this information comes from? Thanks!
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: City of Perita???

Post by marcus »

sandra wrote:Hello, Companions! I am quite surprised about one thing - maybe I didn't know that... Yesterday I watched some game ( Who wants to be a millionare) and there was a question regarding ATG. Question was like - all his new-founded cities ATG called Alexandria, excepting one, which he named Perita in honour of his dog. Was that right? If so- where this information comes from? Thanks!
Well, it isn't correct, because he also founded one called Bucephala, after his horse. In fact, it is more likely that Bucephala existed and that Perita didn't.

As it happens, he also founded one called Nicaea; but, to be honest, in all probability these cities were all Alexandrias, too - it would have been "Alexandria Bucephala", "Alexandria Nicaea" and "Alexandria Perita".

Sounds as if the Millionnaire chaps have got it wrong.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Callisto

Post by Callisto »

Plutarch mentions this event and gives as the source of this report, Sokion. Sokion says he heard it from Potamon of Lesbos. The event was also mentioned by Theopompus [FGrH 115 F340]
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Didn't he name one "Anticipation" (can't remember the Greek word off the top of my head)?

Around Farah somewhere after the Philotas incident.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:Didn't he name one "Anticipation" (can't remember the Greek word off the top of my head)?

Around Farah somewhere after the Philotas incident.
It's something like Prophthasia ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
keroro

Post by keroro »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been re-reading Plutarch's Life of Alexander recently and found this just after the Hydaspes:
61 His horse Bucephal died at this battle, not in the field, but afterwards whilst he was in curefor the wounds he had on his body: but as Onesicritus saith, he died even worn for very age. Alexander was as sorry for his death, as if he had lost any of his familiar friends: and for proof thereof, he built a great city in the place where his horse was buried, Bucephalia. It is reported also, that having lost a dog of his called Peritas, which he had brought up of a whelp, and loved very dearly, he built also a city, and called it after his name. Sotion writeth, that he heard it reported thus of Potamon Lesbian.
So, Plutarch has two cities not named Alexandria, though as marcus says they were probably known as Alexandria Bucephalia and Alexandria Peritas.
Best wishes,

Keroro
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

keroro wrote:Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been re-reading Plutarch's Life of Alexander recently and found this just after the Hydaspes:
61 His horse Bucephal died at this battle, not in the field, but afterwards whilst he was in curefor the wounds he had on his body: but as Onesicritus saith, he died even worn for very age. Alexander was as sorry for his death, as if he had lost any of his familiar friends: and for proof thereof, he built a great city in the place where his horse was buried, Bucephalia. It is reported also, that having lost a dog of his called Peritas, which he had brought up of a whelp, and loved very dearly, he built also a city, and called it after his name. Sotion writeth, that he heard it reported thus of Potamon Lesbian.
And it looks as if you've been reading Dryden's translation, too ... :wink:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

What about the city/colony that Alexander founded at age 16 when Philip was away at Byzantium? Alexander named it Alexandroupolis.

Okay ... Alexandria ... Alexandroupolis ... he still named it after himself. But technically it's not an Alexandria. :D

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
keroro

Post by keroro »

marcus wrote:
keroro wrote:Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been re-reading Plutarch's Life of Alexander recently and found this just after the Hydaspes:
And it looks as if you've been reading Dryden's translation, too ... :wink:

ATB
Very true. :wink: It does have a rather quaint style. What is considered to be the most accurate translation (by way of being closest to the wording of the original)?
Best wishes,

Keroro