Related to Public Forum post by Marcus

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Related to Public Forum post by Marcus

Post by sikander »

Greetings Pothosians,

Though I posted my original note under "Deletions and Reminders", I have decided to post this as a sticky to ensure members have it on hand as a reminder.

First, as discussed long ago when we first began moderating this site, we felt it was a valuable resource for students and, as such, decided it was important to bear in mind that we wanted to retain availability to libraries and schools. This required that members keep in mind that many flawed censorship programs exist and that, without careful discussion, Pothos would be blocked from some of the people we were trying to reach. To date, we have been able to remain accessible by schools and libraries even with discussions of the cultural sexual behaviours in Alexander's time *because* members learned to focus on the ancient world and its culture and mores rather than go off on tangents into personal or modern views.

I am requesting members bear this in mind and refrain from discussing both personal modern views, for or against, orientation issues and personal likes and dislikes regarding private behaviours on this public forum and move such personal discussions to private email if they feel it worth doing.

Second, we have an international reputation for respectful discussion, even when we disagree, that has remained solid *because* we all work at it. On occasion, tempers flare and that is to be expected.. but it is important that we quickly restrain our impulses to attack, and get back onto an even keel..

I am requesting that members bear respect and courtesy in mind when posting; if you are angry, wait a few minutes, preview your post and examine whether it feels like an attack on a member or how it adds to the discussion.

If anyone has an issue with deletions, you can email the moderators privately (my own email is in care of philoalexandros@hotmail.com, put Attn: Sikander in the subject header) We will happily listen to arguments as to why we should not have deleted a post if you can show how the post addresses Alexander, his companions, events in the ancient world, the ancient world in general, the culture of Alexander's time, or the customs and traditions of the time.

If you want to discuss issues and ideas *not* related to Alexander and his times, please post on the Off-topic board. Thank you,
Regards,
Sikander