A's Judgment

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

A's Judgment

Post by agesilaos »

Why do you think Alexander felt the need to execute 30% of the governors he appointed?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: A's Judgment

Post by davej »

Where did you get that stat from? That is remarkable. The only reason I can think of is that Alexander was wanting to set an example and to terrorise the other governors into doing the right thing. Much like he had done in Thebes to contain rebellion in Greece. The Persian Empire was vast and from my understanding currupt. By executing some governors, guilty or not of curruption he may have been setting an example to all to do the right thing. He could not be everywhere, and was after all a foreign invader. I sure Marcus will have a better explaination.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Dave,I'm not ignoring your challenge (d**n your eyes!) but I haven't yet come up with an explanation... I'm racking my brains!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

I'm sure You are right about punnishing the corrupted sathraps, but I woldn't connect it to destruction of Thebes. It was diferent in my opinion he didn't want to fight with them and wanted to use persuasion better then terror. What happened was because of majority of Thebians (sterred by the Demosthenes orations and some triks - all for persian money) wanted to fight for "freedom" and they joined persian king. In case of Alexander's rulling after coming back from his conquers - in Babilon he had to maintain the peace and following his own promises he tried to establish fair and right governors what would help in providing peacefull politic in conquered territies. I have my theory on this so it might be little bit controversial.Maciek
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

The statistic is a bit New Labour seven executions are attested, Ordanes,Kleandros, Sitalkes, Heracon, Orxines, Abulites, Oxathres, but Kleomenes was in line for punishment, as was Harpalos and a quuestion mark will always hang over Antipatros' summons to Babylon.My point was that it shows a lack of judgement to have appointed so many dud satraps; conversely a lack of judgement to trust so many slanders.Reigns of terror are de riguer for tyrants but I didn't think everyone in pothos saw Alexander in that light.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

I think you make a good point about not all of us seeing Alex as a tyrant. I think he was growing increasingly unstable towards the end and his actions showed this to be the case. Either way, in this case he certainly made some examples of the satraps and lengthened the line of those who would have him assassinated.
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander