i know it's silly but i like it!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

alejandro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

i know it's silly but i like it!

Post by alejandro »

Hi there,

Sorry for starting a new thread for this, but I found this sentence in an academic paper* and couldn't help smiling devilishly :twisted: after reading it. Funny enough, I read others talking about the same issue in previous occasions, but never made the obvious connection.

Anyway, without further ado, here it is. Hope you enjoy it as well:
It is customary to say that Alexander left Parmenio behind at Ecbatana in Media on communications, but Arrian does not bear this out.
:D

Can you imagine:
Antipatros: "Here is our star journalist, Parmenion Philota, reporting from the site of the action: Hello Parmenion."
Parmenion: "Hello Antipatros. Another day of excruciating marches is over. The soldiers are now cooking dinner. Meanwhile, our sources tell us that, in a meeting with his generals, King Alexander has decided to pursue the bandit and usurper Bessos. He also ordered to open an investigation on King Darius' murder. And that is the situation at the moment, Antipatros. Back to the studio".
A: "Thank you Parmenion. After the break, King Agis of Sparta and his new army. And the latest in Pellan fashion: Queen Olympias and Princess Kleopatra shine in yesterday's court appearance. Don't go away. Makedonian News will be back after these commercials".

:lol:

All the best,
Alejandro

* C. A. Robinson Jr, "The extraordinary ideas of Alexander the Great", The American Historical Review, Vol. 62, No. 2. (Jan., 1957), pp. 326-344. Quotation is on page 333.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I think we all need a little silliness once in a while, although I'm not sure that Alexander would ever appreciate it. Oh, I know about his pithy wit, but I've always suspected that he didn't have much of a sense of humor, unlike his father who could take a joke at his own expense. And before anyone says it - "blood not ichor" is not a self-effacing joke 'cause it isn't even funny. (Ducks and runs for cover.)

I did read something abnormally silly in a fiction book recently - one that's sat on my shelf for years; The Conqueror by Judith E. French. I read all 350 pages in about 90 minutes, and if anyone thinks that's "cheating" then go ahead and ask me some questions about the book. Not a difficult plot to follow, by the way. Alexander tells Roxane to remain in her room when danger is at hand . . . she disobeys and gets captured by the enemy . . . Alexander rescues her . . . he's angry with her for a long time . . . he finally forgives her . . . Alexander tells her to remain in her room when danger is at hand . . . Roxane disobeys and gets captured by the enemy. . . Alexander rescues her . . . he is angry with her for a long time . . . he finally forgives her . . . Alexander tells Roxane to remain in her room when danger is at hand . . . . . . . . . .

Hmmm. Still, it does have some of the funniest lines in Alexander fiction, including the description of a bare-chested Alexander wearing only a lion skin wrap that barely covers his loins.
"By Zeus's foreskin, I'm not too drunk to ride a horse. Or to sample the delights of my new bride," he said.
"Leave us, Farah," Roxanne commanded, taking the wine ewer. Hephaistion's reputation had spread throughout the citadel. He would have to seek his bed partners elsewhere than among her women."
And the very best of the very worst:
"You're trembling," he said, as visions of her bared breasts filled his head. Sweet mother of Zeus! Her nether curls would be as soft as down, and her woman's juices . . . He groaned. "No need to fear my javelin's thrust, little wife. You're mine, and I care well for all that's mine."
I may never be able to discuss the sarissa again . . .

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Oh dear!

Post by marcus »

I think I need a lie down.

How does that sort of total nonsense ever get published? :cry:

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Okay, I propose a contest

Post by karen »

Have you heard of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest? Named after the novelist who coined the introductory sentence "It was a dark and stormy night," it's a contest for the worst first line of a novel, with prizes awarded in multiple genres. Website here -- http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/ .

So I propose pothosians sharpen their pens for a similar contest. I know there are many capable people here. Only rule: your execrable excerpt has to relate somehow to Alexander.

I know the above quotes will be hard to top, but let's take them as a challenge to our literary, em, skills...

Warmly,
Karen
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

In Leslie Nielson's immortal Posiedon Adventure line: "Oh my God!"

Don't think I can ever read another Amyntoros post quite the same again!! To think you read this?!

How, pray tell, did Olympias cuss? "By Hera's Hymen! You will be king!"

Oh, I didn't write that did I?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
wmp

Post by wmp »

Ah, yes - there are even 2 sequels to the Judith French book...

The Barbarian & The Warrior...

In The Barbarian Roxanne doesn't die, but is smuggled away to be with Ptolemy (who is afflicted with visions of Alexander at inconvenient moments). The Warrior concentrates on Alexander & Roxanne's son (more visions of Alexander at convenient moments, this time).

I read all three, to my shame (but then early in my academic career I gave seminars on Barbara Cartland...)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi WMP,
wmp wrote: I read all three, to my shame (but then early in my academic career I gave seminars on Barbara Cartland...)
However, and I'm not speaking from knowledge here, surely Barbara Cartland didn't write such rubbish, did she? :roll:

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:"By Hera's Hymen! You will be king!"
This is fun ...

"By Apollo's Arse!"
"By Bellerophon's Buttocks!"
"By Poseidon's Peewee!"
"By the Nereids' Norks!"

And, of course: "By Uranus!" :wink:

He he ... I'll stop now, before any smidgeon of respect I might have enjoyed on this forum disappears in a puff of Ambrosia ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Oh worse, much worse....

Post by Paralus »

Worse. Much worse.

And, as a fellow who went into publishig after deciding teaching wasn't it, I'd know.
The reason for said knowledge? The publisher was Mills & Boon. By the look of Amyntoros' quotes, it appears they, too, were responsible for foisting the trilogy upon unsuspecting sensibilities.

Did I just admit to working with Mills & Boon?

Strewth! Slinks off.....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Athena's nipple Marcus! I'll not have you trample the good graces of this forum with such!

Should you disgrace this forum again, rest assured that I will pursue you 'round Herme's harlots; through seven prostitutes of Perseus and yes, past the heaving hips of Heracles. And, by Dionysus' donger, I will impale thee!
Last edited by Paralus on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
wmp

Post by wmp »

Marcus - Barbara Cartland's penultimate pages even had me retching... Same in every book... Those stars, looking down, as the lovers, united, look up...

Paralus - is Dorchester Publishing an offshoot/partner of Mills & Boon? (My copies of the French trilogy are under their imprint). Dear gods...
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day wmp.

There must be a familial relationship attested somewhere by Persephone's fart!

Have you had the publishing house's dna tested?
Paralus

Academia.edu
wmp

Post by wmp »

Hmm, & not Cyberus's ....?

DNA might take a bit of time. Maurice Wilkins died & we moved a Comparative Literature administrator into his room...
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Throwing down the gauntlet

Post by karen »

I see no one has ventured a first entry in the Alex-Lytton contest yet. I shall be forced to perform this honour myself.

Incidentally, the original rule in the Bulwer-Lytton contest is that the noxious snippet may be comprised of no more than one sentence.

-----
By the Muses' mucous membranes," the young conqueror breathed throatily in the steaming darkness, running his weapon-callused hand along the smooth, hot, sweaty, rock-muscled flank, "you are more beautiful than Aphrodite caught bathing in a wet chiton, more perfect than licking ambrosia out of a naiad's navel, more sweet to have between my legs than any other!" -- whereupon came the shrill voice of his Sogdian wife: "Honey, are you currying Boukephalos again?"
-----

BTW if any editors or agents read this, my evil twin wrote it. Not me.

Pothosians, you can do worse!
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Throwing down the gauntlet

Post by amyntoros »

karen wrote:Pothosians, you can do worse!
I thought your 'entry' was hysterical, but I'm betting there are plenty of Pothosians that can compete. The Webmaster, Thomas, once toyed with the idea of having a short fiction contest here on Pothos although I don't think he ever had anything like this in mind. :lol:

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor