Cavalry Shields

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Cavalry Shields

Post by derek »

I have a question about cavalry shields. Now I know Greek cavalry didn't routinely carry shields, but my question is why not? They'd carry shields if they expected to dismount and fight on foot, so why not carry them all the time? If the phalanx could wear a small shield despite being lumbered with the sarissa, then cavalry could manage both a lance and shield. Considering Philip's innovations to give his army an edge, equipping his cavalry with shields sounds like an obvious move against shieldless Greek cavalry, and a must when Alexander's Companions faced massed ranks of javelin-hurling Persian cavalry.

I can't think of any disadvantages in carrying a shield, so why weren't they standard equipment for Greek/Macedonian cavalry?

Derek Holmes
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

Dean Hi

I can really only offer an opinion about this. i would say to carry a shield as well as a weapon on bare back horse would be pretty unstable. I would say now been an equastrian that a rider would need at least one free staedy arm to keep on the horse for balance etc. I would gous if you had both hands fuill then you would easily fall off.

Maybe some other military experts with a diverser knowledge of armies could clarify wether any ancient un stirruped horses carried shields.

Regards

Kenny
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Cavalry in thessalia and northern Bactria

Post by dean »

Hello,

I know that the Thessalians were the finest cavalry units-as in Asia were the cavalry units in northern Bactria- under the control of Bessus at the time of Alexander's conquest- a dangerous unit to leave " on the loose"- and another reason perhaps why Alexander had to nail Bessus.

As to your question, I think that perhaps there could be some truth in Kenny's post- there was just less stuff to be carting around and God knows the "boys" did some miles.

In the mosaic of Alexander at Issus- we can't see the side of his horse yet surely he had no shield.There was a unit in the Macedonian ranks that were the prodomi from Thrace, Ilyria light cavalry.- that carried javelins and even a unit that carried sarissa- the sarissophoroi Can you imagine them charging with the sarissa? It must have been quite a sight. Also I am just trying to remember a unit that shot arrows from horseback- started with hippo... something. Maybe someone could help me remember.. :roll:

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Hi there,

I have no real knowledge about the true reason for not having a shield, but I would guess that it could be related to the fact that cavalry is mobile and, thus, unlikely to be a sitting target for javelinmen or archers (the obvious reply would be to charge them if possible or retreat if not). This luxury is not available to infantry.
Given this, carrying a shield that will only be used for a few seconds/minutes and that will hinder your balance and comfort 99% of the time, I would think is not a sound policy, especially if you allow for some body armour that could deflect/resist throwing weapons for a sufficiently long time as to be able to charge or retreat. One could expect Alexander and the members of the Companion cavalry (as well as the Thessalians mentioned above) to have good armours (they were heavy cavalry, so I assume so), while the members of the light cavalry probably had lower-quality ones, but usually the latter were not heavily involved in melees during battles (if I am not mistaken, they were scouts and skirmishers, but I can be wrong, so I'm open to accept the arguments of more knowledgeable and better-informed Pothosians).
Just my (totally un-technical) opinion.

All the best,
Alejandro