A Question About Rituals

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

A Question About Rituals

Post by ruthaki »

If a person was making a supplication to a goddess (in particular, Athena) what would be the appropriate rituals and sacrifices? (I know Alexander was said to be meticulous and generous about this. But I need to know what other people might be expected to offer, the rituals etc)
derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: A Question About Rituals

Post by derek »

Ruth,These books are very good sources of information on Greek daily life, and contain a wealth of details that don't usually make it into history books. Both have chapters on religious customs and rituals.Daily Life in Greece at the Time of Pericles by Robert Flaceliere; published by Phoenix Press.The Greeks; Their Life and Customs by E Guhl and W Koner; published by Senate.Derek Holmes
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks Derek. I found out a few things on the web, however these books look like some I should add to my research library.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Ruth, two more books for you:_Greek Religion_, by Walter Burkert, 1977, trans. to English 1985._Festivals of the Athenians_, by H.W. Parke, 1977. (I assume whoever you have supplicating is most likely Makedonian, but maybe this one will help peripherally.)Good luck!Karen
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks, Karen. In this incident it's Phokion, the military governor of Athens making a supplication to Athena. Just a little scene but someone in my critique group called me on the ritual part and I recall one of my Classical scholar friends telling me once, you better get it or someone will who knows will notice the error. I appreciate the help I get from this site, even when it isn't directly connected with The Great One, it is to do with events that took place leading to the fall of his dynasty