Logic Or Denial?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Logic Or Denial?

Post by kate »

Hi Marcus,Maybe Jan thinks that Olympias wouldn't have made such a fuss if she had been guilty? A sort of she felt able to honour Pausanias because she had nothing to hide and could give vent to her feelings without needing to dissemble? I can see the logic in that, someone had done what she would have liked to and she didn't care who knew it.Cheers,
Kate
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Kate,I did wonder whether that was what Jan meant - which is really why I wanted to check.Of course, it is rather doubtful whether Olympias did actually honour Pausanias in that way - whatever her guilt/innocence, Alexander would not have been able to allow her to get away with that sort of behaviour!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Kate,I did wonder whether that was what Jan meant - which is really why I wanted to check.Of course, it is rather doubtful whether Olympias did actually honour Pausanias in that way - whatever her guilt/innocence, Alexander would not have been able to allow her to get away with that sort of behaviour!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Kate/Marcus,I have little doubt Olympias was involved. What form that involvement took is debatable. Prior to be recalled, Alexander and his poisonous, plotting mother had plenty of time to "work" the game. Put another way, Olympias would not ever have accepted that her son was forever out of the reckoning as Philip's successor (nor really Alexander himself). What contact she had with Antipater we do not know but we do know that Lyncestian Alexander seemed all too familiar with what was "going down" - just as his two brothers were consummately ignorant of same. The overriding impulse in Olympias' mind is the eradication of the new "legitimate" Argaed lineage. If that necessitates Philip's removal, so much the better. Best way to secure the future is to have Alexander on the Macedonian throne.Alexander was eventually going to find some reconciliation or d+¬tente with respect to Philip. That or raise the "western marches" in revolt. As it turned out Philip GÇô in what transpired to one of his very few political/diplomatic blunders GÇô recalled the simmering "prince". He was not alone in underestimating Alexander. To that list may be added Demosthenes, the Thebans, the Thessalians, Parmenio and a host of others, not least of whom the Persians. In the end he probably had little choice: bring him into the fold before leaving for Asia or kill him (and his mother).Until the fateful entry into the theatre and the cold thrust of Pausanias' blade, Philip GÇô the most calculating and practical statesman of many an age, a man who had correctly gauged then defeated or divided (rendering impotent) all of Greece and its leaders GÇô failed to understand the extent and ferocity of the burning desires that drove his son. His expulsion of the prince hints at his suspicions. His recalling of him illustrates his failure to fully comprehend Alexander.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

G'day Kate/Marcus,I have little doubt Olympias was involved. What form that involvement took is debatable. Prior to be recalled, Alexander and his poisonous, plotting mother had plenty of time to "work" the game. Put another way, Olympias would not ever have accepted that her son was forever out of the reckoning as Philip's successor (nor really Alexander himself). What contact she had with Antipater we do not know but we do know that Lyncestian Alexander seemed all too familiar with what was "going down" - just as his two brothers were consummately ignorant of same. The overriding impulse in Olympias' mind is the eradication of the new "legitimate" Argaed lineage. If that necessitates Philip's removal, so much the better. Best way to secure the future is to have Alexander on the Macedonian throne.Alexander was eventually going to find some reconciliation or d+¬tente with respect to Philip. That or raise the "western marches" in revolt. As it turned out Philip GÇô in what transpired to one of his very few political/diplomatic blunders GÇô recalled the simmering "prince". He was not alone in underestimating Alexander. To that list may be added Demosthenes, the Thebans, the Thessalians, Parmenio and a host of others, not least of whom the Persians. In the end he probably had little choice: bring him into the fold before leaving for Asia or kill him (and his mother).Until the fateful entry into the theatre and the cold thrust of Pausanias' blade, Philip GÇô the most calculating and practical statesman of many an age, a man who had correctly gauged then defeated or divided (rendering impotent) all of Greece and its leaders GÇô failed to understand the extent and ferocity of the burning desires that drove his son. His expulsion of the prince hints at his suspicions. His recalling of him illustrates his failure to fully comprehend Alexander.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
S

Post by S »

Greetings,Interesting post and responses. I am wondering how much of the perception of Olympiada possible actions are actually based on a misperception of her character, the nature of her position and the possible consequences of her actions were she actually guilty of supporting, participating in or planning the assassination of Philip...
S

Post by S »

Greetings,Interesting post and responses. I am wondering how much of the perception of Olympiada possible actions are actually based on a misperception of her character, the nature of her position and the possible consequences of her actions were she actually guilty of supporting, participating in or planning the assassination of Philip...
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

MichaelIm very sure the old guard and observers underestimated Alexander.But I wonder how significant his time was as regent in Philips abscent. Its all pretty vague but I am sure he showed signs that may have made the oldies sit back and rub their chins.Kenny
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

MichaelIm very sure the old guard and observers underestimated Alexander.But I wonder how significant his time was as regent in Philips abscent. Its all pretty vague but I am sure he showed signs that may have made the oldies sit back and rub their chins.Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Yes, Gail got it the way I meant it. I think that had she planned it and organized it, she would not have behaved so generously towards Pausanius. As it is, it appears that she is showing her sense of gratitude for doing something that she had longed to have done. I've always thought that her actions do betray her madness however. A reasonably sane woman would not have overreacted so to her husband's death.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Yes, Gail got it the way I meant it. I think that had she planned it and organized it, she would not have behaved so generously towards Pausanius. As it is, it appears that she is showing her sense of gratitude for doing something that she had longed to have done. I've always thought that her actions do betray her madness however. A reasonably sane woman would not have overreacted so to her husband's death.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks for clarifying, Jan. So I suppose an addition to that suggestion is that Olympias could perhaps have behaved that way towards Pausanias' corpse only if it were known that she definitely didn't *Actually* have anything to do with Philip's death?I'm not sure I agree, but I certainly accept that there's a reasonable argument there - whether it is likely I don't know - it might still have been a bit too dangerous for Olympias to behave that way (if indeed she did, of course); and anyway, I'm not psychologist ...ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Thanks for clarifying, Jan. So I suppose an addition to that suggestion is that Olympias could perhaps have behaved that way towards Pausanias' corpse only if it were known that she definitely didn't *Actually* have anything to do with Philip's death?I'm not sure I agree, but I certainly accept that there's a reasonable argument there - whether it is likely I don't know - it might still have been a bit too dangerous for Olympias to behave that way (if indeed she did, of course); and anyway, I'm not psychologist ...ATBMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK