Obvious Signs to IIndicate Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Obvious Signs to IIndicate Alexander

Post by kenny »

Porthonians.If and whenever the body of Alexander were to be found? In your opinions what would be the obvios signs it was actually Alexander?I mentioned damage to the rib cage, Where the arrow passed through and extracted again. Then as we know Augustus broke off his nose when he touched it.Can anyone else think of any tell tale signs a body would be that of ALexander?Kenny
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Obvious Signs to IIndicate Alexander

Post by kennyxx »

I had to reregister. With an extra x I accidently logged out and couldnt find my password any where.Just to save confusion.Kenny
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kennyxx »

I had to reregister. With an extra x I accidently logged out and couldnt find my password any where.Just to save confusion.Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hail Kleenex, I just read in a statement by Arrian that his body had not decomposed. Thus, proving he is a god. And as all good gods go, his body would have healed and would have shown no telltale signs at all. NO scars! Just the whole man! Hail Alexander!Jan
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hail Kleenex, I just read in a statement by Arrian that his body had not decomposed. Thus, proving he is a god. And as all good gods go, his body would have healed and would have shown no telltale signs at all. NO scars! Just the whole man! Hail Alexander!Jan
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh,I had another thought about your lists of scars. Alexander suffered so many that he would look like Fearless Fosdick of Al Kapp's Lil Abner fame. But again, remember, Kenny, that the gods and goddesses protected Alexander and would have had him restored immediately for entrance into the Olympian fields. He would be whole and perfect.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh,I had another thought about your lists of scars. Alexander suffered so many that he would look like Fearless Fosdick of Al Kapp's Lil Abner fame. But again, remember, Kenny, that the gods and goddesses protected Alexander and would have had him restored immediately for entrance into the Olympian fields. He would be whole and perfect.
xxx

Post by xxx »

There would be only one bone indication we're sure of - a splintered fibula. Could be a broken rib or breastbone with the arrow wound. The sources do not agree which and it could possibly be neither. Considering relative humidity and the age of the bones, it would be difficult to make a positive identification. A missing nose is quite common with mummies. One would hope to find some of his documents or personal effects with him but that would be wishful thinking since it is quite evident his tomb was pilfered. An inscription of some type would probably be the definitive identification.
xxx

Post by xxx »

There would be only one bone indication we're sure of - a splintered fibula. Could be a broken rib or breastbone with the arrow wound. The sources do not agree which and it could possibly be neither. Considering relative humidity and the age of the bones, it would be difficult to make a positive identification. A missing nose is quite common with mummies. One would hope to find some of his documents or personal effects with him but that would be wishful thinking since it is quite evident his tomb was pilfered. An inscription of some type would probably be the definitive identification.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

In the unlikely event that his corpse was still in some state of cohesiveness, we would look for that slight curvature of his spine at the neck, and the prominent brow ridge on his skull. I would also expect severe wear and tear in the joint areas where ligaments attached to bone. Likely would have had a degenerated back from constantly being jostled about on horseback. I would expect a Ca deficiency in his bones as well. Who knows, even a few blonde locks of hair still curling around the skull.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

In the unlikely event that his corpse was still in some state of cohesiveness, we would look for that slight curvature of his spine at the neck, and the prominent brow ridge on his skull. I would also expect severe wear and tear in the joint areas where ligaments attached to bone. Likely would have had a degenerated back from constantly being jostled about on horseback. I would expect a Ca deficiency in his bones as well. Who knows, even a few blonde locks of hair still curling around the skull.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander