Testing St Mark

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi

Testing St Mark

Post by Taphoi »

I have now posted a new page on my website at http://www.alexanderstomb.com/ with details of the state of play on getting the remains of St Mark in Venice tested in order to check the hypothesis that they may be the remains of Alexander. I have included a formal Proposal document outlining the history of the issue (including extracts from the Manin tome), reasons why testing should be allowed to proceed and the ways and means of testing.Merry Christmas!Andrew
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Testing St Mark

Post by kenny »

Congratulations AndrewAll well worded and the arguement is very real. Of course Its only a long shot it is Alexander but as you say the possibility is there.For Me this is the last Chapter or book to be written about Alexander. Once found so many of our questions maybe answered.Do you have a contact adress for the people to write to indeed I will write and write until they at least do the right thing and let the world know. But as we all know religion is a tricky obsatcle.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Congratulations AndrewAll well worded and the arguement is very real. Of course Its only a long shot it is Alexander but as you say the possibility is there.For Me this is the last Chapter or book to be written about Alexander. Once found so many of our questions maybe answered.Do you have a contact adress for the people to write to indeed I will write and write until they at least do the right thing and let the world know. But as we all know religion is a tricky obsatcle.Kenny
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

Thanks Kenny.The address at the end of my new web page should be satisfactory, but here is a slightly fuller version:Ettore Vio,
Proto di San Marco,
Basilica di San Marco,
Piazza San Marco,
30124 Venezia,
ItalyIf you write, it would be best to be polite and to give good reasons why testing should be allowed.Best wishes,Andrew
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

Thanks Kenny.The address at the end of my new web page should be satisfactory, but here is a slightly fuller version:Ettore Vio,
Proto di San Marco,
Basilica di San Marco,
Piazza San Marco,
30124 Venezia,
ItalyIf you write, it would be best to be polite and to give good reasons why testing should be allowed.Best wishes,Andrew
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Super, Andrew!I shall follow this with great interest ... and if many polite letters are necessary, I will sign up for some!Have a great Christmas.Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Super, Andrew!I shall follow this with great interest ... and if many polite letters are necessary, I will sign up for some!Have a great Christmas.Marcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Andrew hail and MarcusI think ill hold back with a letter. The poilte stuff puts me off. Indeed I feel they must not be asked poiltely but challenged. Are they afraid that A christian icon just might not be what they hope it is.As your long written explanation says. Indeed they have duties for it to be done. In the interests as you say of who It maigh actually be and indeed its Significance to History even if its not Alexander.I would say polite and challenging. But where religion and those so called reps of religion are involved I am afraid I am very sceptical. No problem with the faiths or how people percieve gods or beliefs. But these so called benefactories who bend these things to there own ends.Just a question Andrew. Do you personally think its Alexander.Or with the rest of us just maybe. i think were he still in Alexandria it would have been found by now.Regardskenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Andrew hail and MarcusI think ill hold back with a letter. The poilte stuff puts me off. Indeed I feel they must not be asked poiltely but challenged. Are they afraid that A christian icon just might not be what they hope it is.As your long written explanation says. Indeed they have duties for it to be done. In the interests as you say of who It maigh actually be and indeed its Significance to History even if its not Alexander.I would say polite and challenging. But where religion and those so called reps of religion are involved I am afraid I am very sceptical. No problem with the faiths or how people percieve gods or beliefs. But these so called benefactories who bend these things to there own ends.Just a question Andrew. Do you personally think its Alexander.Or with the rest of us just maybe. i think were he still in Alexandria it would have been found by now.Regardskenny
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

There is a significant possibility that it is Alexander, but it is on balance a bit more probable that it is someone else. There is even a remote possibility that it really is St Mark and that the early Christian writers who say he was burnt are mistaken. We cannot know the true answer without testing.The Church will find it much more difficult to ignore polite, reasoned letters, than angry ones.Best wishes,Andrew
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

There is a significant possibility that it is Alexander, but it is on balance a bit more probable that it is someone else. There is even a remote possibility that it really is St Mark and that the early Christian writers who say he was burnt are mistaken. We cannot know the true answer without testing.The Church will find it much more difficult to ignore polite, reasoned letters, than angry ones.Best wishes,Andrew
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Andrew HailTactical letters then Ive made my new years resolution to make this my mission to oersuade these boys to do us Porthions a favour.Upon the discover and it is Alexander do you haave avestage interest to be involve and write a second book to go side by side. If we persuade the monks to cooperate do we get a cut\Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Andrew HailTactical letters then Ive made my new years resolution to make this my mission to oersuade these boys to do us Porthions a favour.Upon the discover and it is Alexander do you haave avestage interest to be involve and write a second book to go side by side. If we persuade the monks to cooperate do we get a cut\Kenny
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I will follow this with great interest because as I might have once said here, I once had a dream that Alexander's remains were in the Vatican. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I read here about your theory. Amazing. And I still consider it a great possiblity. After all, who held the body held the power and why wouldn't the Romans' have considered taking it to Rome?
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I will follow this with great interest because as I might have once said here, I once had a dream that Alexander's remains were in the Vatican. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I read here about your theory. Amazing. And I still consider it a great possiblity. After all, who held the body held the power and why wouldn't the Romans' have considered taking it to Rome?