kennyx sowden

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

typhoeus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

kennyx sowden

Post by typhoeus »

Kennyx Sowden,you appear to be well versed on many aspects of history with a particular fondness and expertise on Alexander the Great. I find many of your posts very intersting and am interested to hear what your top 10 Alexander books would be.I too, would one day like to be well read like yourself and cthen contribute in forums such as this one.Any suggestions for reading material would be taken on board with the greatest of enthusiasm. Thank you.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: kennyx sowden

Post by jan »

Hi Lord, I can't speak for Kennyx, but deep down somewhere I think he is really probably some erudite college professor posing and conning the heck out of us!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Lord, I can't speak for Kennyx, but deep down somewhere I think he is really probably some erudite college professor posing and conning the heck out of us!
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Thankyou Both very much Indeed. Janet Im no professor just a commoner garden chef with a wife and 2 Kids.With respect to top 10 books I would reckomend Marcus to ask about those. Hese read much more. My Interest for Alexander started when I watched the Movie 300 Spartans very Heroic and brave. I read through the Greek histories and Arrived at Alexander .Ive read basically about 30 books in no particullar order, And eventually I try to work out the pros and cons from each book. As with Alexander and other subjects we all arrive at our own interpretation. My Idea of Alexander goes probably too deep. In my own opinion the guys was as close as there ever was for a man to be called god.Christains Have Jesus and other religions have there shinning stars. I akin Alexander in that way.I would say a good starting point for reading would be lane Fox. Some dont like him but its a good start then choose your own books and see who your Alexander is.Cheers for the compliments and good wishes with your reading. Your Alexander may be totally different from mine but were all individual with opinions.Regards And take careKenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Thankyou Both very much Indeed. Janet Im no professor just a commoner garden chef with a wife and 2 Kids.With respect to top 10 books I would reckomend Marcus to ask about those. Hese read much more. My Interest for Alexander started when I watched the Movie 300 Spartans very Heroic and brave. I read through the Greek histories and Arrived at Alexander .Ive read basically about 30 books in no particullar order, And eventually I try to work out the pros and cons from each book. As with Alexander and other subjects we all arrive at our own interpretation. My Idea of Alexander goes probably too deep. In my own opinion the guys was as close as there ever was for a man to be called god.Christains Have Jesus and other religions have there shinning stars. I akin Alexander in that way.I would say a good starting point for reading would be lane Fox. Some dont like him but its a good start then choose your own books and see who your Alexander is.Cheers for the compliments and good wishes with your reading. Your Alexander may be totally different from mine but were all individual with opinions.Regards And take careKenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Lord Heres a List in no particular order.Alexander the Great Hammond
The Nature Of Alexander-Mary renault
The Lost Tomb Of Alexander-Andrew Chugg
Alexander The Great-Frank Lispius
THe Genius of Alexander-hammond
Alexander Of macedon-Green
In the Footsteps Michael Wood
Alexander The Great The Invisible Enemy- Obrien
Alexander the Great -Paul Cartlidge
Alexander The Great-Ulrick Wilken
Alexander The Great-Sekuda and warry
Alexander the Great-Peter Green
Alexander Killer of Men-David Lonsdale
Conquests of Alexander- Arrian
Alexander the Great art and Strategy- Partha Bose
Alexander the Great- Joanne Fletchertheres lots mate.But Marcus is your man he knows good from bad.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Lord Heres a List in no particular order.Alexander the Great Hammond
The Nature Of Alexander-Mary renault
The Lost Tomb Of Alexander-Andrew Chugg
Alexander The Great-Frank Lispius
THe Genius of Alexander-hammond
Alexander Of macedon-Green
In the Footsteps Michael Wood
Alexander The Great The Invisible Enemy- Obrien
Alexander the Great -Paul Cartlidge
Alexander The Great-Ulrick Wilken
Alexander The Great-Sekuda and warry
Alexander the Great-Peter Green
Alexander Killer of Men-David Lonsdale
Conquests of Alexander- Arrian
Alexander the Great art and Strategy- Partha Bose
Alexander the Great- Joanne Fletchertheres lots mate.But Marcus is your man he knows good from bad.Kenny
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Oh man,
I was really kinda hopin' to take your class some day...are you reeeeeally a garden chef or just playin' us? Maybe you can create a new Alexander salad. They have the Caesar salad, maybe we can have something too eat as well. But it would have to be better than a Caesar.later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Oh man,
I was really kinda hopin' to take your class some day...are you reeeeeally a garden chef or just playin' us? Maybe you can create a new Alexander salad. They have the Caesar salad, maybe we can have something too eat as well. But it would have to be better than a Caesar.later Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Nick Im a general chef worked in many types of resteraunts and functions.With regard To An Alexander Salad. Anyone can create a personal Salad depending on what you particulaly like to eat.Your basics would start with a selection of Crispy Lettuce red and green. Maybe a slight addition of cucumber I like the Freshness. And if you can get them those lovely Juicy Mediteranian tomatoes not those Hard tasteless things we get in the uk.Then you add hald a red onions Red onions are better for salads fpr mildness and colour. For seasoning Add salt and pepper to your taste.Then for protien. Add some chargrilled strips of Chicken then drop in some Feta cheese small dice.In a pint cup quarter fill with olive oil add a dout 3 table spoons of balsamic Vinigar. Finely chop a handfull off Fresh basil.Bix Together the oil vinigar and basil. Drizzle over the salad and toss till its totally covered .Chill and serve fresh with a nice crusty bread.I dont know if
its Alexander salad but at least i tried.I prefer the hot and meaty dinners.RegardsKenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Nick Im a general chef worked in many types of resteraunts and functions.With regard To An Alexander Salad. Anyone can create a personal Salad depending on what you particulaly like to eat.Your basics would start with a selection of Crispy Lettuce red and green. Maybe a slight addition of cucumber I like the Freshness. And if you can get them those lovely Juicy Mediteranian tomatoes not those Hard tasteless things we get in the uk.Then you add hald a red onions Red onions are better for salads fpr mildness and colour. For seasoning Add salt and pepper to your taste.Then for protien. Add some chargrilled strips of Chicken then drop in some Feta cheese small dice.In a pint cup quarter fill with olive oil add a dout 3 table spoons of balsamic Vinigar. Finely chop a handfull off Fresh basil.Bix Together the oil vinigar and basil. Drizzle over the salad and toss till its totally covered .Chill and serve fresh with a nice crusty bread.I dont know if
its Alexander salad but at least i tried.I prefer the hot and meaty dinners.RegardsKenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh, I just need a good brandy alexander right now! But I loved the recipe and I needed the laugh that you both gave me. It took my mind off my troubles today! Never thought I would find that here at Pothos but it worked!Hoping your day is going better than mine!And your book list was great...but the discussions are sometimes more fun and entertaining as well as informative. I had intended to include them on my list as well, but it slipped my mind.I didn't mention Ian Worthington's on purpose, but his book is quite fair and well done. He has his point of view with which I disagree also, but I always like his personal attention.I like the fact that Hammond cites his sources and gives credit to the origins of the information that he quotes. He mentioned the Journal in which all the battles were supposedly logged, and I like that.My own point of view is that all military positions are a bit of propaganda and that readers and students must remember that no good general ever gives away all his secrets for his enemies to know. So most of the info is probably just to impress the Greek public and supporters. Remember, all is fair in love and war, and Alexander is the very best, and fooling others is part of the plan! I suspect that true and exact journals were kept private and confidential, secreted away where only Alexander and his top aides know where.Just my pov.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Oh, I just need a good brandy alexander right now! But I loved the recipe and I needed the laugh that you both gave me. It took my mind off my troubles today! Never thought I would find that here at Pothos but it worked!Hoping your day is going better than mine!And your book list was great...but the discussions are sometimes more fun and entertaining as well as informative. I had intended to include them on my list as well, but it slipped my mind.I didn't mention Ian Worthington's on purpose, but his book is quite fair and well done. He has his point of view with which I disagree also, but I always like his personal attention.I like the fact that Hammond cites his sources and gives credit to the origins of the information that he quotes. He mentioned the Journal in which all the battles were supposedly logged, and I like that.My own point of view is that all military positions are a bit of propaganda and that readers and students must remember that no good general ever gives away all his secrets for his enemies to know. So most of the info is probably just to impress the Greek public and supporters. Remember, all is fair in love and war, and Alexander is the very best, and fooling others is part of the plan! I suspect that true and exact journals were kept private and confidential, secreted away where only Alexander and his top aides know where.Just my pov.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

WOW! That sounds reeeally good! I read it to my mom as she was talking about juicing. We both agreed, that we want an Alexander salad pronto!later Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

WOW! That sounds reeeally good! I read it to my mom as she was talking about juicing. We both agreed, that we want an Alexander salad pronto!later Nicator
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander