Maps

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Maps

Post by chris »

Are there any maps used by Alexander still in existence? What would have been his main sources?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Maps

Post by marcus »

I have to confess that I don't know exactly what (if anything) they did for maps in those days. I think I've always worked on the basis that there were no charts ... but Alexander most certainly took surveyors with him, who recorded the distance, terrain etc. of the army's progress. They would, of course, always know which direction they were travelling in, too.Not much use, but if they did have maps ... well ... none of them exist nowadays.ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Coincidentally, David Meadow's Rogueclassicm site gave a link the other day to a Telegraph article on the "world's oldest map" from around 500 BC. Looks like this one survived only because it was drawn on a teracotta vase. :-)http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... 18.xmlBest regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

Hi LindaIt was that very article that prompted my question!regards, Chris