Differences and practices of love

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Differences and practices of love

Post by amyntoros »

***Ok,i have mentioned Plutarch's work in the past too .I donGÇÖt take it as a bible. But why would that man lie when he talked about "non sexual behaviours" and no body contacts between lovers?***And why does Plutarch suggest that the reason a Roman man first approaches his wife in the dark is because: (a) sex involves 'aidos' or shame; (b) a wife is an GÇÿoutsiderGÇÖ; (c) the female body may be offensive; (d) sex is bad whether inside or outside marriage? Perhaps the answer to your question is because Plutarch was a bit of a prig when it came to sex with either gender! See 'Plutarch on Sex' by Peter Walcot, Greece and Rome, 2nd ser., Vol. 45, No. 2 )OCt., 1998), 166-187.***Because being a politician in Athens and having homoerotic relationships did not mix. Penalty was death.***I think IGÇÖm going to regret this, but can I please have a list of the politicians who were put to death for having homoerotic relationships?***Just look into the past and greece's history. From the byzantine years until modern years.***Sorry, but GreeceGÇÖs history from the Byzantine years onwards has no relevance whatsoever to this topic.Best regards,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

I've never read her fiction books, but I can speak well for her "The Nature of Alexander". This was my first book on Alexander, and sometimes I'll still pick it up for a little glance. Much of it borders on fiction (and this has cost me many many rewrites), but much of what she wrote concerning his personality and character I would consider tantalizingly close to the real nature of Alexander.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
vbvd;b[pfb

Post by vbvd;b[pfb »

tiohjregpjert0i[gj[0