The Word Coward

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

The Word Coward

Post by kenny »

Heinrick Comnpanions.I felt the word coward deserved a seperate thread, AS we may decide was Alexander a coward.I guess from which side of the coin we view the situation. I would say anyone risking there life a not to be a coward.And as far as the Malian incident I would say it more complicated than just shear slaughter for the hell of it. Im sure it had a motive even if it was blood thirsty.Its a similar scenario one persons coward is another mans hero. As with one mans terrorist is another mans revolutionary. So I guess its from the persons own personal viewpoint. Call the Malian slaughter cowardly. But in no way shape or form was Alexander a coward. He was there at the front mixing it. I would say the modern commanders and leaders more cowardly.When did Tony Blair. George Bush.George Patton Montgomerie even risk there lives.Monty was classed as a hero but theres nothing heroic giving the command to drop 10000 paratroopers at Arnhem bridge knowingly that the German Panzers were there. He only did it to outplay Patton.With regard to people risking thgere lives. Can we call a guy with explosives or a guy flying planes to skyscrapers killing inocent people. Cowards or revolutionaries?These guys call themselves heros fighting to protect Muslims against American and foreighn agressors. Yet these self same people would blow up hundreds of Muslims in the Streets of Baghdad searching for work.regardsKenny
Alex K.

Re: The Word Coward

Post by Alex K. »

Read John Keegan's excellent "The Mask of Command". Different leadership styles are relevenant to their epochs and circumstances. Alexander was the epitome of the heroic leader to the point of theatricality. Do read that book though.;-)
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

There's definitely something to be said for the notion that image is everything, and Alexander's image ascended into the realm of the gods. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
elpinice

Post by elpinice »

I don't think you can just say that Alexander was or wasn't a coward. When it comes down to it, I have no doubt that on some days he was cowardly, and on some days he was brave.I guess the only thing that you could do to find an overall 'label' for Alexander's bravery would be to count up the incidents for each side - which verges on the ridiculous considering the scanty information that we have.Elpinice
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

I would say Alexander did nothing cowardly,was not a coward.I would argue everything he did was with reason. The arguments indeed are there for atrocities but all wars have atrocities. War in itself is an atrocity.Alexanders atrocities dont measure up to todays as todays society argues human rights etc yet the atrocities are still massive and wholesale even without war. Its an atrocity that people die of Famin disease and neglect in an era of greed and opulence. Where a film Actor can own mansions and millions and yet somewhere someone lies dead in the dirt from disease hunger or abuse.Where Wayne Rooneys girlfriend can soend -ú1500.00p on a belt yet a family somewhere has not 50p to buy a loaf of bread.Todays society are more guilty of Atrocities Alexanders were swift but these atrocities linger for generations.Kenny