Very worrying...

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Very worrying...

Post by marcus »

From The Times, Thursday 10 October 2002:"Talking of ambitious movies, Baz Luhrmann's biopic of Alexander the Great is gathering steam. It's produced by Dino De Laurentiis and Martin Scorsese, and Leonardo DiCaprio has been confimed as the lead, while the 'Red Dragon' screenwriter Ted Tally is trying to make sense of the story.
"'It's from a trilogy of novels,' Tally says of the Alfredo Manfredi books. 'It's 1,400 pages, these books put togehter. So, to reduce 1,400 pages to 130 or so is insane. It's just a monstrously difficult thing to do. Even though Alexander only lived 32 years, they were awfully packed years. You could make three movies, his life is that packed.'"Yeah! And it would be a helluva better movie if they didn't use Manfredi and DiCaprio... Let's just hope that they are using a reputable historical consultant to keep them at least vaguely on track!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
alexandros777

Re: Very worrying...

Post by alexandros777 »

Hey, I hear you man, I've been waiting my entire life for holywood to make a movie on my man Alexander the Great, and now that they are Im extreamly worried there going to make it a historical fiasco, like those jerks did with "the messenger" the story of Jehanne D'arcs life (Joan of Arc) I want it to be based on what he really did, not fake novels... its like whats the point then.. So I'll be keeping it in my prayers!
Thanks for your time guys,
Very Truly Yours,
Jamin R. Freid
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I shudder to think...I am trying to visualize Leonardo as Alexander. Maybe the right size and colouring and close enough in age but ....Nah! I don't think so.
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

It is worrying - what sort of accent will Leo employ? Chris
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi, good question, what accent will Leonardo Di Caprio use? Hm, Californian, New York, which area of America do you think? Dean.
carpe diem
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi, I was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. Alexander's life packed a massive punch to put it very lightly. I was thinking that you could honestly make a decent film, Ridley Scott style (3-4-hrs) about any of Alexander's great battles and still have plently to talk about. So it is ridiculous to summarize to what? 2 hrs, his entire life?. For people who study his life this film obviously will be a massive disappointment. One of the attractions of Alexander is the narrative potential. I mean you can look at his life from so many different angles: philosophical arguments, military tactics ,mystical... I mean the list is endless. Undoubtedly I will go to see it when it finally hits the screens but I can't say I am expecting anything other than a Hollywood botch. All the best, Dean.
carpe diem
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

OK, I am ill!!!! I am now going to chant, channel, pray that the producers exhaust their finances, DiCaprio grows frustrated with the profile-study of ATG, and the production FAILS!!!! Thanks for the information Marcus...I have been wondering about the production, and now my wondering has transformed into stomach-wrenching anxiety. ATG is and has been a part of my life for two decades, and The Search for Alexander will be corrupted by a band of Hollywood pirates who will desecrate the history of our beloved Warrior-King.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

I just finished watching Baz Luhrmann's movie "Moulin Rouge"...and found it very entertaining...maybe he'll make his Alexander movie a colorful musical. I can just see Alexander singing to his Companions and dancing with Roxanne and Hephaistion...I think I'm going to puke!!!
later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander