The Nekromanteion of Afyra

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

The Nekromanteion of Afyra

Post by ruthaki »

oops..I posted this on the wrong place.
I have an article published on a couple of on-line sites about the Nekromanteion of Afyra (Oracle of the Dead). You can find the one with all the photos at http://www.travel-wise.com ("Sailing to Hades")We can only speculate if Alexander ever visited the Oracle but no doubt Olympias did as it was in her domain. A very interesting site. I've been there twice. Well worth the visit!
kate
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Nekromanteion of Afyra

Post by kate »

Hi,I'm just back home from holiday and catching up with my post, which is why I didn't reply earlier, but I just wanted to say thanks for this article, Ruthaki. I thought it was very interesting and it's a place I will try to visit next time I'm in that part of Greece.Cheers,Kate
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, this is a fascinating site and probably overlooked in favour of some more well-known places. The town of Parga itself is a real delight! And you can also get to the Rock of Zalonga from there where the Suliote women leapt to the deaths to escape from Ali Pasha's men. Quite a dramatic and touching place to visit!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Ruthaki,I am wondering what the W. stands for in your name, and just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your article also. Comparing a Greek River to the Louisiana Bayous is rather timely, considering all that Katrina has done. You didn't manage to conjure up any images, I gather, but I enjoyed your attempt to seeing Persephone even. Very informative article that has enticed me to want to spend some time in Greece and environs also.I placed some information about the AIA tour which will be conducted next September, and I received information on other tours as well. It is exceedingly expensive, but I am trying to find a way to take that tour. Looking through some other travel information I am well aware that it is twice as expensive as most tours...so far I am only dreaming and planning, but at least a years notice gives me time. Since the tour is devoted just to the cause of Alexander, I am striving to make it.So your lesson here about the river Styx is very helpful to me also. Thanks so much. I liked your sense of humor...