Just Back From Greece!!!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Just Back From Greece!!!

Post by Ambrosia »

Hail everyone,
I just returned from Greece where I finally achieved a life long dream of visiting Pella the Macedonian capital, Vergina where Phillips tomb is located at and many other beautiful inspirational sights. I can't explain the feelings and thoughts I experinced when I was surrounded by these amazing artifacts and ruins, very special I would suggest all you interested in Alexander visit these places. So special, What an amazing trip, I can't wait to go back and visit again. I have to thank Efstathios The Athenean and Ruth Kozak for responding to my e-mails and answering all the questions I had regarding my travels. Your information really helped.
Thank you
Jim
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Just Back From Greece!!!

Post by chris »

Hi JimI envy you. I revisited Michael Wood's video of "In the Footsteps of...." and thought how fortunate he was to be bale to make the programme. Can you imagine? And getting paid too! Chris
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hi Jim, I just knew it would be an amazing experience for you. How I envy you...but I'll probably revisit the sites again in another year.
Greece is simply the most wonderful place in the universe!
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Hi Jim!I am glad that you had a nice experience during your stay here in greece.Keep those experiences deep inside you.Once you breath the air of greece you always have it with you.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Jim HailCongratulations with your visit to Pella etc I will have to take a visit.Last Year I went to the Cassander Peninsular with my son and really found it to expensive to travel up north by taxi.However the parts of Anciend Macedonia I did visit I found no Trace of Alexander save a few rings and pendants it was as if they had abandoned there heritage. More interested in football and the Euro.regardsKenny
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Kennyx this is a big problem of modern greece.At least as far as the state is concerned many things are done wrong about this matter.And this total abandonment of the greek herritage is somewhat suspicious.There are a lot of things to be excavated and /or to be shown to the public but they are not. Examples like the ancient acropolis of Sparta which served as a capital long before Lykourgos' time.It's on a hill not very far from modern Sparta but nothing has been done about it although the location is known to the archaiologists.

The same goes for many other places.And not to mention the complete abandonment of Eleusina's temples and the ancient city.Some decades ago the whole area was degraded when heavy factories were build there.Under the city of modern eleusina lies a whole ancient city and temples.There are many occasions in which they build new houses there and they dig up ancient ruins and sometimes treasures.
And not to mention the temple of Demetra that now consists of some rocks right next to the highway there, like they were ordinary rocks and not remains of columns e.t.c,completely abandoned. These are crimes...
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

I don't disagree Efstathie, but the reality is that there're just too many antiquities, more that those that the Archaeological service can attend to!
A friend of mine is an archaeologist and she was telling me that they're totally overextended. They have to focus only on the major finds (and there're many new every year) and in the vast majority of the cases they only mark the place and bury back the finding for future archaeologists. Already the work or preserving and studying what has been excavated in previous years is more that enough to keep them occupied for decades! Like I said, there's just too much work...