5 Most Defining Moments of Alexander's Military Genius

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

elpinice

5 Most Defining Moments of Alexander's Military Genius

Post by elpinice »

Rah,What do you think?Elpi
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Re: 5 Most Defining Moments of Alexander's Military Genius

Post by kenny »

I think one defining momernt is Issus.Having realised he was ouytmanoiuvered and the Persians were at his rear and cut him off.Alexander simply turned his army round and went straight for Darius and the Persians at Issus.Many a general would be a little bit worried finding themselves in such a position.Kenny
elpinice

Post by elpinice »

Thank you. I do wonder, however, how much of that was genius, and how much was just plain courage, charisma, and leadership ability. I haven't been able to find much information about Alexander that suggests he was original, or strategically brilliant. Instead, he is just portrayed as an excellent and charismatic leader, which one would have to be mad to dispute.Elpi
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Alexander had the whole lot as Andrew said many times Alexander was the original.Kenny