Alexander's Death

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi

Alexander's Death

Post by Taphoi »

Pothos members may like to know that there should be a story in the first edition of tomorrow's Independent on Sunday (I think on page 6) about my research on Alexander's death. It is a preview of research that has been accepted for publication by the Ancient History Bulletin. However, I am told that the story is likely to be knocked out in the second edition by Robin Cook's sudden death (British politician). I believe you can tell which edition it is you are looking at because it will have a tiny "1st" or "2nd" in the bottom right-hand corner of the front page. You might need to get up early to find a first edition and the printed edition appears in the UK only, but a version of the story is also appearing in the online version of the Independent athttp://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article304278.eceI hope there will also soon be a page on my website at http://www.alexanderstomb.com/ giving a few more details.Best wishes,Andrew
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander's Death

Post by abm »

This sounds very interesting; I'm looking forward to the full article. Is it in the next issue of AHB?regards,
abm
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Andrew HailThanks for your iumput and research with the death.I have always maintained Cassander the cause but its only my opinion. However when I listened to Ptolemies rhetoric towards the end of the Stone movie. Im more convinced hisd commanders were nor with clean hands.The line of Ptolemy."They must die before they kill us with there dreams"RegardsKenny
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

Thanks, Alexander.The article is not out for a little while. Some more details are now online at my website http://www.alexanderstomb.com/The arguments are firstly that one of the stated authors of the Ephemerides, Diodotus of Erythrae, is a mistake for one of Alexander's surveyors, Diognetus of Erythrae (or just possibly Diognetus is the son of Diodotus as mentioned by Isocrates). Secondly, Strattis of Olynthus, the author of a commentary on the Ephemerides, is a mistake for Ephippus of Olynthus. I cannot say much more than this for now. Details will be in the paper in AHB.Best wishes,Andrew
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Andrew,I was directed to the online version by RogueClassicism, as soon as I logged on today.I have to admit that I was irritated by Doherty's theories being given column inches, but I'm glad you're getting exposure for more sensible hypotheses!All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

This is a very interesting version of Alexander's death.And i have to say it is the most probable one in my oppinion.I have always been thinking that murder was a possible senario and could have easily happened but the way that Alexander died leads to think that it may have been a disease after all.
Alexander had suffered to many critical injuries and wounds.His biological defensive system must have gotten weak.That's why he may have easily caught a disease from these swamps. The only thing that concerns me is if he was the only one who caught mallaria or whatever this disease was at that particular time that he was passing through the swamps.Why only him?If there were others even at different timings,the symptoms would be alike.So it would have been known since then that Alexander had mallaria.If other soldiers died the same way then people would know...
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Good point Efstathios...I am one who believes his death was by malice...that he was probably ill (perhaps with malaria) and certainly suffering from his wounds, but that certain individuals did not want to take the chance he might survive. My finger still points at his cup-bearer Iolas and Kassandros (his brother) who was Alexander's well-known antagonist.
nina

Post by nina »

I'M A THINKIN' THAT WHEN ATG PASSED TO THE OTHER SIDE, WOULD ANYBODY HAVE EVEN NOTICED THAT SOMEONE ELSE DIED? ALEXANDER WAS SUCH A FIGURE, WOULD ANYTHING ELSE GOING ON EVEN BE MENTIONED OR REMEMBERED. I'D LIKE TO THINK THAT HIS WAS A NATURAL DEATH, AS OPPOSED TO MURDER. JUST MY THOUGHTS NINA
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Well, that is indeed one of the counter-arguments that is used when the conspiracy theorists (not meant perjoritively) say "but no-one else is said to have died" - after all, the sources are writing about Alexander; and it is only relatively recently that historians have been in the slightest bit interested in the lives of the small people. The sources also do not mention the rank and file dying of disease throughout the previous 12 years, unless as a means to describe a particularly arduous journey (such as crossing the Paropamisadae, or Gedrosia ... which themselves are there to demonstrate how Alexander accomplished such things).All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

efstsI couldnt agree with you more on that point. Whatever the so called ilness virus was it was pretty darned selective. To the extent it took Alexander and Hepheastion in similar circumstances.Where these 2 guys to gewt somekind of virus and die. It is fare to assume its gotta have infected others. Where Macedonians to start dropping im sure Ptolemy would have likened it to Alexanders death in his writings.This stuff aboutr Alexander been worn out and finished to me is bull. Alexander was 32 years old still in his prime where the best soldiers in his army were 50to 60 years old.Alexander was no age fighting fit and ready for Arabia and the west. He was on his way back and the boys didnt want hisa ways so he and Hepheastion had to go.The Line from Ptolemy in the movie. They must die before they kill us with there dreams or pension us off.Kenny
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail AndrewBrother of the Sword. Until I saw the Stone movie I never really thought Ptolemy was involved in Alexanders murder.Even though maybe nbot Diurectly involved I do endorse that all his so called friends were glad to see him go. I also refer to the programe you mentioned before about the Scotland yard detective,,,He Threw out the poison theory straight away ruling that poison was not the Macedonian way.Well Cassander as Ptolemy says poisoned Roxanne and the Infant. The the Scotland yard guy threw ouit the poison theory too easily and without real evidence.Kenny
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail AndrewBrother of the Sword. Until I saw the Stone movie I never really thought Ptolemy was involved in Alexanders murder.Even though maybe nbot Diurectly involved I do endorse that all his so called friends were glad to see him go. I also refer to the programe you mentioned before about the Scotland yard detective,,,He Threw out the poison theory straight away ruling that poison was not the Macedonian way.Well Cassander as Ptolemy says poisoned Roxanne and the Infant. The the Scotland yard guy threw ouit the poison theory too easily and without real evidence.Kenny
boris

Post by boris »

Interesting thoughts and a very good site there Andrew. I'll be keeping an eye on that one!
Coral

Post by Coral »

Hello!

Sorry to bring up this older thread up front again. I was wondering, however, if anyone knows whether Dengue fever has ever been considered a possibility as the cause of Alexander's death. This trpical/subtropical fever is transmitted by mosquito bites, is accompanied by high fever and terrible pain in the joints and spine, and can turn hemorrhagic. In the last case, it can be fatal if not treated promptly. While malaria seems very likely the cause of death because of the "intermitent" fever and perhaps the final coma, dengue fits the bill with the terrible aches and pains all over. It's a disease that even in its mild form, can leave a healthy person totally wiped out.