Canea Hanbnibal has them Boxed in?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Canea Hanbnibal has them Boxed in?

Post by kenny »

Companions hi.On mumerous occasions I call into a sight dedicated to war and tactics and more than once get involved with debate wether Hannibal would be better than our guy. There was even a bbc programe where 2 high minded generals of today took the roles of them both and had Alexander losing.
I have studied aund understood Hannibals tactics of basically faint and ambush. To be totally honest Alexander has been criticized for fightging bumbs. WEll i really gotta say the Roman armies and generals upto Scipio were totally useless and crap.THe way Hannibal drew the Roman army into a box then anhialated them was provem point. No way on earth would Alexander have allowed such a trap and never got surrounded. AS Andrew said Alexanders Cavalry were up to the job of doing anything outside the Phalanx formation.Alexander had the ability to spot a trap as with the Illirian carts so im sure he'd second guess the Carthaginian. all the same these debates are always good and really dont understand why an ambush merchant can so easily be put above an all rounder like Alexander.I maintain Hannibal was a one trick pony as soon did Scipiuo understand. Also on reflection its a marvel how Rome everlasted spo long it had its fair share of crap armies and inept commanders.RegardsKenny
boris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Canea Hanbnibal has them Boxed in?

Post by boris »

Hannibal himself was a big fan of Alexander, and I feel he was a better general than you give him credit for. These Romans had been giving the Hellenised world major head aches yet Hannibal could beat them time and time again.You do raise some good points though and Alexander himself would have fared better than the American general would have against that British one who was in the role of Hannibal.Unfortunatly, the engine the battle was playing under (from the Rome Total War engine - which incidentally is an excellent PC game) does also have its flaws, which does not favour Alexanders Macedonian army. The Hysapists for example where key infantry for Alexander, and in Rome Total Wars engine, they are a cumbersome Phalanx fighting formation, whilst historical accounts imply that they where a much more flexible multi-role fighting unit.Alexanders military genius, and the strength and ability of the men who fought for him made for such a powerful combination that they would have fared much better against Hannibal and his motley army than the predictable pre-marian Roman army would have.
Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Ambrosia »

Hey Kenny give me a link do one of those battle tactic sites. I would be interested in joining a forum like that.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

hail jimyesterday we had a thunderstorm ans all my stuff got fried. i cant really remember the full name of the group.it is dedicated to military history with a message page. i am sure member porthonians know the group. i tried the indexes and didnt have muck luck. sorry.
kenny
tcasti

Post by tcasti »

Hannibal was an incredible general yet for all his courage and tactics he emulated Alexander in many ways. Alexander fought against an empire that dominated the world for more than two centuries. To conquer the Persian empire was an achievemment of biblical proportions. Who else has the caption written about him?"And now I will show you the truth. Behold, three more kings shall arise in Persia; and a fourth shall be far richer than all of them; and when he has become strong through his riches, he shall stir up all against the kingdom of Greece. Then a mighty king shall arise, who shall rule with great dominion and do according to his will. And when he has arisen, his kingdom shall be broken and divided toward the four winds of heaven, but not to his posterity, nor according to the dominion with which he ruled; for his kingdom shall be plucked up and go to others besides these." (Daniel 11:2-4 RSV)Hannibal invaded the Roman Empire and was successful to a limited degree. His tactic of boxing in a larger force was incredible. Yet despite this he is nothing but a mere shadow compared to the great lion that consumed the known world.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Thomas HailI like your tone.RegardsKenny