medieval Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jon

medieval Alexander

Post by jon »

I am trying to find good sources on the medieval Alexander, and would welcome some pointers. Are there reprints or web editions of some of the great Chivalric literature about him? I'm particularly interested in sources that might have been well known in the west of England in the c14.
NickWelman

Re: medieval Alexander

Post by NickWelman »

There is very little on the web... You need to get hold of Richard Stoneman's "Legends of Alexander the Great" - or check my synopsis of some Medieval sources under "Legends" in the Information section. As far as I can see, Richard Stoneman is the one and only real world authority on Medieval Alexander. You might want to check all of his publications. Interesting subject, for sure.
Regards -
Nick
jon

Re: medieval Alexander

Post by jon »

Many thanks for this useful pointer - I'll now follow it up. Interesting if Alexander's 'greatness' as a historical figure has managed to overshadow the inherent interest of his status as a legendary one. Not even Jesus has managed that!