Mutiny

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Mutiny

Post by Ambrosia »

Hail, everyone it has been a long time since I posted anything on Pothos. I have been busy but reading everyones posts as often as I can. I was wondering if any of you could give a description on the Mutinies that took place with Alexanders army. And what the causes of them where. It is my understanding that there where three in all.
1. After the death of Darius, where he urged his men to keep going because Bessus was still at large.(I am not sure if this constitutes a Mutiny, but I thought I would include it any way.)
2. The mutiny in India
3. The mutiny at OpisThank you everyone, I hope all is well with you.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Mutiny

Post by marcus »

Hi Jim,Hmm, not sure about the first example. I don't think it could really count as a mutiny because there was no actual *action* on the part of anyone who was discontented. The army thought that it was all over and that they were going home, so they started to pack their gear ... Alexander told them it wasn't the case and persuaded them to continue marching eastwards; to which persuasion they agreed.There are arguments that those in India and Opis also weren't properly mutinies. At Opis, for example, the trouble was that Alexander wanted to discharge his soldiers and start using Persians, and the Macedonians argued that they wanted to stay with him - effectively, to keep fighting. Having said that, there were ringleaders who could be (and were) arrested and executed at Opis, which there weren't at the Hyphasis ... so was it a mutiny at the Hyphasis? Hmm, dunno. :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK