Great Commanders Magazine

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Louis Fredinand

Great Commanders Magazine

Post by Louis Fredinand »

Great Commanders : Alexander the Great
https://store.primediamags.com/shop/the ... 8999anyone bought this one already?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Great Commanders Magazine

Post by amyntoros »

Bought it a while ago at the bookstore, but confess I haven't actually read it yet! However, for me it is already worth it for the photographs and images, such as color prints of Pietro de Cortona's painting of The Battle of Alexander against King Darius; Le Brun's ATG and Porus, the Battle at the Granicus and the Battle of Arbela; and Fontebasso's verserion of the Granicus. There's a nice photo of one long side of the Alexander sarcophagus as well, along with other paintings and mediaeval prints. If you are interested in Alexander in art, it is definitely worth it, though I do believe someone here (Tre?) said in a previous thread that the articles had inaccuracies.Best regards,Linda
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
doorgunner

Post by doorgunner »

I saw it at Borders and grabbed it. It looks like it's published by the History Channel, but I can't tell if this magazine is published regularly or if it's just a one-time capitalization of Alexander mania. There are good maps and pics in it and it has a nice "centerfold" of a map of Alexander's empire.
Ambrosia
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Ambrosia »

Yeah I purchased the magazine a little while ago too. I have read it a few times and rather like reading it. You get some diffrent points of view, some great pictures illustrating seige weapons, and battlefeild tactics. It, in my opinion does a pretty fair job, and raises some pretty cool points. Of course there are inaccuracies, there always is but for the most part I found it enjoyable, even just for the pictures like someone else mentioned earlier. GOOD STUFF
louis ferdinand

Post by louis ferdinand »

Thanks all for the reactions, i'll try to get a copy as wellall the bestA.
Kit
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Kit »

Looks interesting. Can anyone tell me if it is available in Europe? Kit.
Kit

Forever to seek, to strive, to overcome.