ATG's visit to Jerusalem

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thalestris

ATG's visit to Jerusalem

Post by Thalestris »

Question: Is it myth, tradition or historical fact that Alexander en route south stopped by Jerusalem, conversed with the rabbis, inquired if a statue be erected of him, and being turned-down, was placated by the promise of the rabbis that the first-born sons of Israel would bear Alexander's name, thus some male Jews bear that name to this day. Myth, Tradition, or Fact??
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: ATG's visit to Jerusalem

Post by marcus »

Myth. There is nothing to suggest that Alexander ever visited Jerusalem.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

I think this may come from the same tradition
that recounts that the gold of Melchior, given to
Jesus when the Three Kings of the Orient paid
their homage to him, came from Alexander's
treasure. There's a reference to this legend in
Lane Fox's biog. but I've not located the source -
any clues out there, Companions? wmp
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Hi all:Been lurking on this forum for a little while, drawn out of my lair by a question to which I have an answer.I found this on I don't recall what website -- Google a phrase below and that should locate it. Author is Josephus, book _Antiquities of the Jews_. Chapter too long to quote in full: here's the chapter head.
Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Book XICHAPTER 8. CONCERNING SANBALLAT AND MANASSEH, AND THE TEMPLE WHICH THEY BUILT ON MOUNT GERIZZIM; AS ALSO HOW ALEXANDER MADE HIS ENTRY INTO THE CITY JERUSALEM, AND WHAT BENEFITS HE BESTOWED ON THE JEWS.Companionly regards,
Karen
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Karen,This is interesting. I've never bothered to read Josephus (apart from what I was required to read) and so didn't know about this.I can't remember exactly when Josephus was writing, but it must have been in the very late 1st century AD at the earliest. I suspect that by that time the 'myth' that Alexander went to Jerusalem was already prevalent, hence J's mention of it.On the other hand, it is possible that he did go there but that none of the Alexander sources bothered to mention it. Perhaps during the siege of Gaza. However, as the sources are pretty exhaustive when it comes to mentioning the towns and cities that Alexander visited, I would be surprised if they left out Jerusalem.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Hi Marcus et al:And yet there must have been some dealing between Alexander and the Jews, some reason for them to honour him, because 'Alexander' is the only foreign name that they made an official Jewish name. I have this from a Jewish friend who's up on her Jewish history.Perhaps Arrian, Curtius, et al. don't mention it because the primary Makedonian/Greek sources didn't consider it very important -- just another ethnic group surrendering and offering tribute -- whereas the Jewish ones, naturally, did...?Warmly,
Karen
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Karen,Well, yes and no...Even if Alexander didn't visit Jerusalem he did 'liberate' the whole of the Levant, including Judaea, from Persian domination. So, if the Jews were that delighted at their delivery, no surprise that they adopted Alexander as an 'official Jewish name' (first time I've heard that, but it's very interesting!).However, as I mentioned before, Arrian (particularly) gives long lists of the towns and cities that Alexander liberated, sacked, or otherwise dominated, taking tribute, taxes and 'contributions'. Jerusalem was the capital of a kingdom and, as such, would never have been seen as unimportant except strategically - not being on the coast it didn't fall within the necessity of denying ports for the Persian navy. So, so long as the inhabitants of Jerusalem didn't give him any bother, there was no especial reason for him to visit it.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nick
Somatophylax

Re: Oops, that is a shortcut...

Post by nick »

Dear Marcus,
You wrote:
"Even if Alexander didn't visit Jerusalem he did 'liberate' the whole of the Levant, including Judaea, from Persian domination. So, if the Jews were that delighted at their delivery, no surprise that they adopted Alexander as an 'official Jewish name' (first time I've heard that, but it's very interesting!)."
Hm, wasn't it the Persian King Cyrus the Great who was famous - as the Bible tells us - for liberating the Jews from their exile in Babylonia?
As Wieseh+¦fer writes, the majority of the peoples living under the sway of the Persian empire accepted the King's rule as he was the guarantor of peace, stability and prosperity. There is no evidence for something called "domination" of Judea by the Persians.
(The only country where Alexander was welcomed as a liberator was Egypt, and that was also the only country where Persian rule had - on occasions - been repressive.)
I am sure the Jews honoured Alexander, but not because he was their 'liberator'. (As Green writes in Alexander to Actium, the economy of Hellenism can be described as 'raiding on a grand scale', while the Persians had ruled mildly and generally never overtaxed their subjects.)Regards -
Nick
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Oops, that is a shortcut...

Post by marcus »

Hi Nick,Fair enough. I admit that I didn't really think when I wrote that. I would try to dig myself out of that hole but I'm not sure I can.However, I was trying to find some explanation for the Jews' reverence for Al. I obviously failed. But I do stick to my guns on that fact that, if Arrian et al don't say he visited Jerusalem then it's highly unlikely that he did.But you were quite right to pick me up on that post.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nick
Somatophylax

Re: Thanks

Post by nick »

"But I do stick to my guns on that fact that, if Arrian et al don't say he visited Jerusalem then it's highly unlikely that he did."Marcus, I fully agree with you. (I am just a bit hot-tempered as soon as it comes down to ancient Persia, as I think we all share a distorted view on this inconceivable empire.. ) The big question remains: why did the Jews find it appropriate to 'honor' Alexander? Where are the origins of Josephus' tradition? A complex issue to tackle.Thanks for your reply. Best regards, sincerely,Nick
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Thanks

Post by yiannis »

My small contribution to this question:
I also cannot be sure if Alex visited Jerusalem (probably not?) but I remember reading a book on the Jewish revolution of the Macabee (long after Alex). Amongst other it would say that the Macabees revolted against rich Hellenized Jews who have forgotten their traditions and religion. Most of the upper Jewish classes by that time were speaking Greek, had adopted a Greek-like way of living and were very profitable due to the increase of commerce caused by the opening of boarders and the big unified market that was created. I believe that the Jewish feast of Hanukah commemorates this event.
Anyone more on this?regards,
YiannisPS
Sorry for misspelling the Jewish words!
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Well, there it is! No answer. I suspected this question would remain elusive as the figure himself is quite elusive. The more elusive his history the more intriguing! Thank you to all who contributed to exploring my inquiry. THe image of ATG conversing with the rabbomic community enthralls me, though. Being the highly spiritual person that Alexander was, I imagine he would have taken great pleasure in learning and discussing in a communal fashion the Judeo knowledge to enhance his own *spectral* imagination .
Me agapi kai filia!!
jimhatz28

Post by jimhatz28 »

The Talmud, in relating the friendly meeting between Alexander the Great and the High Priest Simon the Just says; "And Alexander saw how magnificent the Temple was and how all-holy in the eyes of the Jews. And he reasoned with himself; I shall seek of the High Priest that he will place my image between the body of the Temple and the altar. And Alexander did as he had thought. And he said to Simon the Just; If I have found favor in your eyes, place, I beseech you, my image between the Temple and the altar. And Simon the Just answered him and said; God has given a decree to us that no image or statue should be placed in His Holy House. Nonetheless, we shall do for you a work, O King, which shall be an eternal remembrance. Every male child which is born to the priests, the descendants of the tribe of Levi, during this year shall receive your own name of Alexander. And the name of Alexander was introduced in Israel in memory of him from generation to generation." JIMHATZ28
jimhatz28

Post by jimhatz28 »

The Talmud, in relating the friendly meeting between Alexander the Great and the High Priest Simon the Just says; "And Alexander saw how magnificent the Temple was and how all-holy in the eyes of the Jews. And he reasoned with himself; I shall seek of the High Priest that he will place my image between the body of the Temple and the altar. And Alexander did as he had thought. And he said to Simon the Just; If I have found favor in your eyes, place, I beseech you, my image between the Temple and the altar. And Simon the Just answered him and said; God has given a decree to us that no image or statue should be placed in His Holy House. Nonetheless, we shall do for you a work, O King, which shall be an eternal remembrance. Every male child which is born to the priests, the descendants of the tribe of Levi, during this year shall receive your own name of Alexander. And the name of Alexander was introduced in Israel in memory of him from generation to generation." JIMHATZ28