Alexander's dog

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

hoti

Alexander's dog

Post by hoti »

Hello!!
I've got one question(one of all)...Is it true,taht Alexander had a favourite dog called Peritas(that's write in polish)? If yes, where can I find historical confirm??I think I'll visit this page very often and ask some questions(I've got a lot of them"))
I really Alexander's geek:-)All the best!PS. Sorry for my english, but i still learning:)
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander's dog

Post by maciek »

Hello!
Yes Plutarch wrote about it. This writer is one of five existing sources which writes about Alexander quite much so we have to believe them... ;-))Maciek
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,Apparently the dog was a Mollosian breed from Epirus. In Valerio Manfredi's book he seems to state that Alexander of Epirus gives him the dog as a gift(real fiction). Anyway these type of dogs were used in Rome in the colliseum against the bestiarios(animal fighters)think that I have spelt it alright.Best wishes,
Dean
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

P.S. the dog was called peritas after the Macedonian month of January, Alexander so loved the animal that he named a city after it as he did with his beloved Bucephalus.Best,
Dean.
xxx

Post by xxx »

Add also that it was a dog 'he raised himself.' We are not sure what type of dog it was, but a Molossus is a good guess.
boris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by boris »

Is there any link between the Spanish word for dog, (perro) and the name of Alexanders dog 'Peritas'? In spanish, 'perrita' would be a small female dog.Also, in the statuettes of Alexanders Sarcophagus, there is a small dog under Bucephalus that is helping to attack an enemy. I believe that would be 'Peritas', although it doesnt look like a Molossian. Theres a picture here (the sixth one down):http://www.seleukids.org/Alexander.htm
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,I live in Spain, in Gran Canaria(which coincidentally was named after wild packs of big dogs that originally roamed the island) and understand that there is no connection between the Spanish "perrito" meaning small dog and peritas.Feliz d+¡a de reyes!!!Dean.