Proof Gordynia Was A Macedonian Place Name (Den = Day)

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

mkont

Proof Gordynia Was A Macedonian Place Name (Den = Day)

Post by mkont »

Gordynian, Gordion, Bogorra
compare "beltaine" (may day - fire day) to gortynia, aka Gordynia. it seems that 'tyn' is a synonym for 'den' = day or don = ?
gor = upper; fire MK
denes = day in MKphrygian-Macedonian linguistic similaritiesHeadword: Γορτύνη
Adler number: gamma,404
Translated headword: Gortyne, Gortyn
Vetting Status: low
Translation:
A city.[1]
Also [a] Gortynian, [named] after [the] place.
Greek Original:
Γορτύνη: πόλις. καὶ Γορτύνιος, ἀπὸ τόπου.
Notes:
[1] In Crete; best-known for its lawcode. On both place and code see generally OCD(3) p.643.
There is also a Gortyn in Makedonia: given as 'Gordynia' in Emathia by Claudius Ptolemy; and cf. Stephanus of Byzantium s.v.gora = upper, height MK
GORDON "great hill" or "hero" (Celtic). From a surname. Gordon is a place name in England.-----------------------------------------------
Beltaine = Bel Den (White Day)
Posted by: mk
Posted on: Thursday, 11th November 2004

Message: Beltaine = BEL DAN (denes = day in MK) bel dan = white (fire) day Bel-dan Bel-taine Beltaine Belinos gave his name to Beltaine, May Day, a Fire festival marking the coming of summer. Early Christians gave the festival and the hilltop beacon sites to St. Michael to watch over. As late as the nineteenth century in parts of Scotland this name was used for Whitsunday. (white sunday?) ATG a heraklid???? myth??? Baal A Sun god, 'Baal of the Phoenicians' is equated, by most authorities, with the Greek God Herakles / Hercules
Link

Re: Proof Gordynia Was A Macedonian Place Name (Den = Day)

Post by Link »

Welcome makont,bery interesno.All the best!
OLD MACEDONIANGLISH Koen iyas sam gnayan aza to shwo iyasWhen i's am knowan as to what i's vizden aza tia gorosali gramatik rekoi odviewed as the colossal gramatik reckons ofMakedonsi histori, verieve moy velot sestra,Makedon's history, believe my word sister,brator, keyull gnayall totalno onadto shwo iyas brother, you'll knowall totally on to what i's vidu aza chisto voda. viewed as chaste water.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

OMG! Vasko has been cloned :-)))))
THE LIGHT 7000

Post by THE LIGHT 7000 »

Yassu file Yannis,GǪAND PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAKGǪ, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SOMETHING MORE CLEVER!GǪ.By the way, YANNIS, you SHOULD LEARN THAT CLONE=KLONE=S/KLON= SIMULAR TO, BUT NOT IDENTICAL (BECAUSE OF EMOTIONAL AND SPIRITUAL LIFE...), BUT SLON=ELEPHANT!GǪTHE LIGHT 7000