Sasigupta was a son of Mazaeus

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Dr. Pal

Sasigupta was a son of Mazaeus

Post by Dr. Pal »

Hi all,
I am indebted to Dr. Rani Ayer of Pullman USA for the suggestion that Chandragupta or Sasigupta was in fact a son of Mazaeus. Her argument draws upon my work and proceeds as follows:
From Arrian we learn that two important persons in DariusGÇÖ army, Bagistanes, a Babylonian nobleman, and Antibelus, one of MazaeusGÇÖ sons deserted the Persian side and sought an interview with Alexander. They reported that Darius was under arrest and in great danger. CutiusGÇÖ omits Bagistanes and states that MazaeusGÇÖ son Brochubelus, who had been the satrap of Syria deserted and informed Alexander about DariusGÇÖ plight. The name Bagistanes reminds one of not only of the Magistanes who were Parthian noblemen but also of the shady Megasthenes who is said to have been in the court of Chandragupta or Sasigupta (Sasi = Chandra = Moon). Now it is known that Sasigupta had also deserted Bessus and Justin reports that Chandragupta had met Alexander and had told him of the possibility of deposing the Nanda king. If we do not make the mistake of placing the Nanda kings in eastern India it turns out Sasigupta is a son of Mazaeus. MazaeusGÇÖ surrender of Babylon and TiridatesGÇÖ surrender of Persepolis were parts of the same conspiracy. I have stated in my website http://www.geocities.com/ranajitda that Tiridates was the same as Sasigupta.
Regards,
Dr. Pal