Alexander and his mania II

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Dr YA Qureshi

Alexander and his mania II

Post by Dr YA Qureshi »

Dear colleagues, Kind regards. The American Association of Psychiatrist's latest criteria for the diagnosis of bipolar manic depression states that there must be at least one episode of mania with at least two episode of depression, or two separate episodes of mania with one episode of depression. Rather than list symptoms of mania and depression, I will go through a provisional list of POTENTIAL symptoms that Alexander may have had from either category. I must emphasaise that this a test of objectivity on a very subjective topic - I am not trying to implement fact, neither am I an authority on Alexander or psychiatry. I just wish to discuss something which I find interesting.1. Alexander, as a young chap, was rather asexual. His mother Olympias even harrassed him to perform coitus with women, as a genuine concern for his lack of interest in sex befell her. This is a common symptom amongst young male sufferers of depression (a 'biological symptom'). Despite high testosterone, sufferers are not inclined to be interested in sex, rather they partake in mundane or no activities. In Alexander's sexually unscrupulous society, such a repression may be pathological.2.Sufferers of mania often site a phase known as a creative period - an episode of heightened ingenuity and sensetivity. This is not so uncommon, hence in the UK, a lot of sufferers bypass their treatment in order to achieve this state of mind. By all accounts, Alexander's acchievments in life and in battle were amazing. He pioneered siege warfare, he was brilliant with his tactics, and when outnumbered, even by 10-1, he deferated the enemy. Yes he did have some luck and yes he did inherit Philip's drilled soldiers. But Philip was a great leader in his own right, and he didn't reach India. Julius Ceasar and Rommel were clever generals, but they did not conquer the known world. Luck is a statistic. Everyone gets a fair share. Could alexander's success and military brilliance be caused by a creative period?3. Delusions of grandeur. Post Siwah, despite the fact that he did not personally tell anyone, Alexander believed he was a god, and that Zeus-Ammon fathered him (literally). Delusions of grandeur today manifest as someone claiming to be someone that is important in society, eg God, Christ, Buddah or George W Bush. Obviously these claims are false. Alexanders belief that he actually was a god and that Zeus categorically fathered him may be delusions. Previously Zeus had