Alexander and sleeping habit

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

john1567

Re: Alexander and sleeping habit

Post by john1567 »

Jeanne Reames wrote:The ball story, like a lot of anecdotes, is false, created later during the Imperial period.

Thanks. I thought so. But, is there any evidence or lack of evidence behind ball-sleeping story is evidence for this conclusion?
Susa the Great
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander and sleeping habit

Post by Susa the Great »

is there any evidence or lack of evidence behind ball-sleeping story is evidence for this conclusion?
Hi there,

Of course not! Lack of evidence doesn't mean anything, providing the story or anedocte looks possible :mrgreen:

If lack of evidence was indeed that important, how many things would have to be discarded about Alexander, which are seen as historical truths only because some author said he heard from the cousin of that maid which served under the table of that Joe who was a friend of Seleukos.... :D

Oh, I love all the anecdotes!

It was Oscar Wilde who said: I can believe anything provided it is incredible.

The Christian St. Anthony of Lisbon for some time had to hold an image of the Child (Jesus) close to him, so that he wouldn't fall asleep without letting it drop on the floor, since he was being tempted by the devil in his dreams during a time, and he didn't want to sleep.

But this metal ball story contrasts with this: wasn't he the one who slept like the dead before one great battle, and had to be shaken to be waked?
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.