Digging for Alexander

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Dr. Pal

Digging for Alexander

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear Nick,
Unarthing of the relics of Porus or Alexander are of crucial imortance. As I have suggested, the Asokan Pillar now at Delhi is in fact an altar of Alexander re-inscribed by Asoka. This was brought from the Chandigarh area. I feel excavations in this area would give us important clues related to the expedition.
Regards,
Dr Pal
John

Re: Digging for Alexander

Post by John »

Dr. Pal,
Is it strange that it appears that the eastern boundary of Alexander's empire in India appears to also be the dividing line between Islam and Buddhism?
John
Dr. Pal

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear John,The success of Islam was more pronounced in the areas dominated by Buddhism-Hellenism. This is the debt of Islam to Alexander. Your observation is significant though it is not wholly true. There were very important Buddhist centres on both sides of the Indus before Buddhism nearly vanished from the peninsula.Regards,Dr. Pal
John

Post by John »

Dr. Pal,
I should have written "Hinduism," not "Buddhism." The eastern boundary of Alexander's empire matches the Islam-Hinduism boundary of today. Perhaps if Alexander never crossed the Indus, the Indus river would still be in India, not Islamic Pakistan?
John
Dr. Pal

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear John,Yes, the eastern boundary of Alexander's empire does indeed match the present India-Pakistan boundary. But would you insist on calling it Islam-Hinduism boundary? India is not a Hindu state; there are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan. If, however, as you imagine, Alexander had not crossed the Indus and it were still a part of India, some Indians would have found it easier to explain the name of their country which is derived from the Indus(Sindhu=Hindu).Regards,Dr. Pal
John

Post by John »

Dr. Pal,
Sure there are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan - because there are so many Indians! Still, about 80% of Indians practice Hinduism, only about 10% Islam; 2% Christianity, and whatever else they got. Alexander should have founded his own religion, and saved the world from this chaos!
John
Dr. Pal

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear John,I even imagine that the name Chandigarh may have something to do with Alexander who was known by the name Alakh Chandra in India. I think digging along the Islam-Hinduism boundary, as you put it, would give us new clues. Do you have spades?Regards,Dr. Pal
John

Post by John »

Dr. Pal,
Spades? No, I've got clubs. I hit a royal flush of clubs in Nevada, which from 5 quarters in the video poker machine paid off $1,244.00. This was actually a while ago, but I recently discovered that each of the four suits in a deck of cards is named after a real king. Clubs represent Alexander the Great. He must bring some kind of good luck, which that boundary we're talking about could use, too.
John
John

Alexander: King of Clubs

Post by John »

Of course, he doesn't represent the whole suit; just the king of clubs. Here's a link:
http://www.woodenhorsebooks.com/Playing-Card-Names.html
John
Dr. Pal

Post by Dr. Pal »

Dear John,Thanks for the link. I am sure some of the bigwigs of the ASI(Archaeological Survey of India) would be up in arms against me. I wish someone with spades, not clubs, could join me.Regards
Dr. Pal
John

Post by John »

Dr. Pal,
You must chose someone closer. Right now, I'm on the other side of the world from India, in North America, not too far from where the Olympic games are being played. - Speaking of that, I've been to Salt Lake City more than once. That place is completely run by the Morman Church (you wouldn't believe their taxes!). How ironic that they should be hosting the Olympics, which were founded in honor of the "pagan" gods!
John