Is there anyone left of the Army of Alexander the Great?!!

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

matz
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Is there anyone left of the Army of Alexander the Great?!!

Post by matz »

I just finished reading an article in the Forum magazine, which is unfortunately only published in Macedonian. What caught my attention in the article was the book "Basic Burushaski Etymologies" by the linguist Dr. Ilija Chashule from the Maquarie Univesity in Sydney, Australia.I've heard about his work, but I haven't had a chance to read this book.According to the article, Burushaski (also Burushi) people, about 90,000 of them, live in the north-west region of PAkistan in the the Himalayas. Their language is isolated, no relation to the neighbouring languages.(see http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country. ... e=Pakistan)Apparently there is a legend among Burushi that they are descendants of the soldiers of the army of Alexander the Great of Macedon, who married Persian women.According to their language, appearance and spiritual culture Burushi are different to their neoghbours.Based on an analysis of around 200 Burushi words and certain gramatic, semantic and phonetic aspects Dr. Chashule claims that there is a high degree of similarity with some indo-european languages, especially the group of ancient-balkan and balto-slavic languages. Similarity with Brygian (Phrygian) language is emphasized.According to Dr. Nikos Chaushidis from the Institute of History of Arts and Archaeology in Skopje, Macedonia, the canals Burushi use for irrigation are identical to those in Ancient Macedonia and Thrace. There is a high degree of affinity in the music and other ethological and anthropological traits as well.Regards,
Matzp.s. for the ones that can read Macedonian (there is a photo of a group of Burushaski children as well):
http://www.forum.com.mk/Arhiva/forum145 ... logija.htm