Where is Hephaistion's Tomb ?

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

lwlp

Where is Hephaistion's Tomb ?

Post by lwlp »

I've read many things about Hephaistion's funeral but they never mentionned where he'd been buried.
Does anyone know?
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

I know it is written that Alexander had a grand plan for Hephaestion's temple but it never happened because after Alexander died his successors didn't want to use "their" money to complete it so it was abandoned.
I have found some information for you and hope this helps even though it may not be a clear answer to your question:
I found mention of a monument for Hephaestion in Ecabtana:

Greek sources mention temples dedicated to the goddess Aenê (probably Anahita) and the goddess of healing, which the Greeks called Asclepius. This shrine was destroyed by the Macedonian king Alexander the Great, who overthrew the Achaemenid empire, because the god had allowed his friend Hephaestion to die in Ecbatana (324 BCE). Hephaestion's sepulcral monument, a lion, is still visible. Earlier, Alexander had had his general Parmenion killed in the capital of Media (330 BCE).

This picture is listed as "The lion of Ecabtana, Hephaestion's tomb"

And then there is this:

In the autumn of 324 BC, Alexander's army was stationed in the city of Ecbatana (today called Hamadan) for the winter. Hephaestion fell sick during the games that were being held for the court and died a week later. Described symptoms are compatible with typhoid fever, but the possibility of poisoning was never ruled out. Hephaestion's death deeply affected Alexander. Reportedly, Alexander responded to the death by shaving his head, cropping the manes of the army horses, cancelling all the festivities, and crucifying the attending doctor. He set out immediately for Babylon with the body, where fabulous funeral games were held. The oracle at Siwah, after being petitioned by Alexander for the correct way to honor Hephaestion, conferred divine hero status upon the dead man. Alexander planned an elaborate funeral for Hephaestion including a pyramid. The project was never completed, but the lion of Hamadan is said to have been part of the plan. It gradually became a symbol people touched in hope of fertility.
The funeral pyre in Babylon that Alexander built Hephaestion cost 10,000 talents5 of Persian gold.

Another source:

Hephaestion was given a magnificent funeral. It is hard to give an exact modern figure for the amount of gold that was lavished upon it, but even at the most conservative estimate, it would be equivalent to the budget of a major Hollywood blockbuster. Alexander himself drove the funeral carriage part of the way back to Babylon, with some of the driving entrusted to Hephaestion's friend Perdiccas.[83] At Babylon, funeral games were held in Hephaestion's honour. The contests ranged from literature to athletics, and 3,000 competitors took part, the festival eclipsing anything that had gone before, both in cost and in numbers taking part.[84] Plutarch says that Alexander planned to spend ten thousand talents on the funeral and the tomb. He employed Stasicrates, "... as this artist was famous for his innovations, which combined an exceptional degree of magnificence, audacity and ostentation ...", to design the pyre for Hephaestion.[85]

I would assume that Hephaestion's remains were in Babylon from all that I've read it seems the most plausible.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

For some reason the picture showed in the preview but not in the post, sorry.

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/ecba ... batana.php
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
jan
Strategos (general)

Site of pyre

Post by jan »

What I am wondering is whether the lion monument is supposed to be located at the site of the funeral pyre. And how old is this monument?
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

I'm not sure if I'll get a response but I've contacted someone about this. I'll let you know what I find out. :wink:
"Solon Fragment 13" poem