When did Philip marry Cynane to Amyntas?

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

adisciplus

When did Philip marry Cynane to Amyntas?

Post by adisciplus »

Many biographies of Philip place this event:

- after Chaeronea (338)
- after the marriage of Philips to Attalus' niece Kleopatra (~337)
- after the abortive Pixodarus alliance (~337)
- shortly before the wedding of Alexander of Epirus to Philip's daughter Kleopatra (336)

Alexander later had multiple marriages take place on the same day. Why would this event not have been joined with either the 337 or 336 wedding festivals?
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: When did Philip marry Cynane to Amyntas?

Post by marcus »

adisciplus wrote:Many biographies of Philip place this event:

- after Chaeronea (338)
- after the marriage of Philips to Attalus' niece Kleopatra (~337)
- after the abortive Pixodarus alliance (~337)
- shortly before the wedding of Alexander of Epirus to Philip's daughter Kleopatra (336)

Alexander later had multiple marriages take place on the same day. Why would this event not have been joined with either the 337 or 336 wedding festivals?
336BC: I imagine that the main reason is that none of the sources mention that this was the same day that Philip married his other daughter to his nephew. On such a momentous day - especially with hindsight, insofar as it was the day of Philip's death - one would expect the names of any other royal brides/grooms to be mentioned.

337BC: Well, there's nothing to say that Philip didn't marry Cleopatra on the same day as he gave away his daughter to his nephew - but I can't imagine the king wanting anyone to steal his thunder. That's the only reason I can think of.

Having said that, there's no reason to say that Cynane's marriage wasn't on the same day as either of those ... but I would suggest that it's unlikely.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK