Some inquiries

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

sikander
Somatophylax

Some inquiries

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

On the yahoo discussion group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alexandriaeschate/ we have received a proposed post by a member regarding the ancient Makedonian language after an inquiry from another member). I requested that the poster request permission to post the article (it is a list of words) but our member has lost the original URL for where the article was found. Does anyone here know of a writer using the name Akritas who has posted an article called " 154 ancient Makedonian words" on the Internet? If so, can you send us a contact name and URL at the site listed above so our member can discuss using the article with them? Thank you in advance.

Also, another member who does not have access to the internet is writing a play with Parmenio as the hero. He would welcome any suggestions to improve his research. His focus is primarily on the general's character and the concept of loyalty. He also wondered if anyone knew the name of the General's wife. I have told him that I will send him any information I receive. If you *do* contribute any information, please send it to me at philoalexandros@hotmail.com so I can print and forward it to him via post. And *please* be sure to list your name so he can credit the information to you..

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Sikander
Callisto
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Callisto »

azara
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by azara »

Hi, Sikander.
Unfortunately I can’t contribute anything, at the moment, about Parmenio’s wife. However, while looking in the Internet, I found traces of the author’s inquiries on http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/257809.htm,
where he seems to believe that Alexander’s general wrote poems. Now, as far as I know, the Parmenio whose epigrams are collected in the Palatine Anthology is a poet of the Roman period (probably II-I century B.C.) and, although being of Macedonian origins, he has nothing to do with Alexander’s general. Curiously, in the same Anthology there is another Macedonian epigrammist named Antipater. Even though Philip’s nobility must have been full of educated men to some extent, I think that depicting Parmenio as a poet is a bit risky: in any case he and the other Parmenio are not the same person. With my best regards
Azara
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Some inquiries

Post by marcus »

sikander wrote: Also, another member who does not have access to the internet is writing a play with Parmenio as the hero. He would welcome any suggestions to improve his research. His focus is primarily on the general's character and the concept of loyalty. He also wondered if anyone knew the name of the General's wife.
A quick check of Heckel's "Who's Who" seems to confirm what I feared - that we don't know the name of Parmenion's wife. It's the usual problem of women not being given the same status as men in the sources - we don't the name of Parmenion's daughter(s), either.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

azara wrote:However, while looking in the Internet, I found traces of the author’s inquiries on http://ancienthistory.about.com/b/a/257809.htm,
where he seems to believe that Alexander’s general wrote poems. Now, as far as I know, the Parmenio whose epigrams are collected in the Palatine Anthology is a poet of the Roman period (probably II-I century B.C.) and, although being of Macedonian origins, he has nothing to do with Alexander’s general. Curiously, in the same Anthology there is another Macedonian epigrammist named Antipater. Even though Philip’s nobility must have been full of educated men to some extent, I think that depicting Parmenio as a poet is a bit risky: in any case he and the other Parmenio are not the same person.
Yes, there's nothing to suggest that 'our' Parmenion wrote poetry - to be honest, I'd have been very surprised if it turned out that he did; but anyway, he didn't that we know of. I hope this person isn't making a big mistake ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK