Hephaistion and Bessus

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

John.

Hephaistion and Bessus

Post by John. »

Alexander had Bessus put to death (after torture) in Ecbatana.The gods (or whoever) had Hephaistion put to death in the same city, Ecbatana.Since Alexander thought of coincidences as divine messages from the gods, did he think the gods were trying to teach him a lesson by making his best friend die in the same city where he killed Bessus?Is this why Alexander instructed the wickedest man in Egypt to build Hephaistion's monument? As a way of somehow one-upping the gods?It's funny how Arrian gets on his high moral horse to criticize Alexander for torturing Bessus, and later criticizes him for giving Cleomenes, the wicked Egyptian, a chance to redeem himself.Arrian: "But I do blame this; the letter [Alexander's] ran: "If I find these temples set in good order in Egypt, and these shrines of Hephaestion, whatever wrong you have hitherto done, I pardon it; and for the future, however great wrong you may do, you shall receive no harm at my hands." This command of a great king to a man who was set to rule a great country and a large population, and an evil man, too, I am very far from approving." [Arrian VII 23.8]Did Arrian miss the point? Was Alexander trying to redeem himself for torturing Bessus?John
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Hephaistion and Bessus

Post by marcus »

A nice idea, John.I think it falls down on the comparison of the deeds of Cleomenes and Bessus. It's probably a bit harsh to call Cleomenes 'wicked' - not that I condone his corruptness, but it's hardly the same as regicide.I'd say it was probably far more pragmatic than that. Cleomenes was chief financial officer for Egypt, and therefore the obvious person to charge with erecting the monuments. It was Cleomenes' chance to redeem himself, rather than the other way round - after all, Harpalus wasn't going to get away with his second, more recent betrayal of Alexander... so Cleomenes must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when Alexander offered him his reprieve.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
John.

Re: Hephaistion and Bessus

Post by John. »

Arrian describes Cleomenes in Greek as "kakw andpi," treanslated as "evil man."Alexander is redeeming himself by allowing Cleomenes to redeem HIMSELF, instead of crucifying him, or whatever.Or maybe Alexander is redeeming himelf AND Hephaistion, since Hephaistion was "partner-in-crime" with Alexander in the torture of Bessus.John