Hephaistion in other "histories"

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

Wolfie

Hephaistion in other "histories"

Post by Wolfie »

I've been working on a paper on Hephaistion for about two semesters now and I'm looking to get it done this round...LOL. However, while going through my notes and what I have written on Hephaistion, I noticed that I only have one mention of Hephaistion from something other than Curtius, Arrian, Justin, etc. and that's from the Pseudo-Callisthenes romance regarding Alexander and Hephaistion going to the Olympics and getting into an argument with some prince of another Greek nation.Those who are more familiar with the other sources, romance or otherwise, on Alexander (Susan?), does Hephaistion show up in any detail whatsoever, even minor mentions, that does not show up in any of the later sources off of Nearchus or Ptolemy such as Curtius or Arrian? And I do mean ANY mention, even half a sentence. It could be activities in the military, personal relations with Alexander or H's peers, etc.Wolfie
susan
Somatophylax

Re: Hephaistion in other

Post by susan »

The only reference that I could find online, in the minor historians, is in Aelian:"When Hephaestion died at Ecbatana (in 324) Alexander placed his weapons upon the funeral pyre, with gold and silver for the dead man, and a robe-which last, among the Persians is a symbol of great honor. He shore off his own hair, as in Homeric grief, and behaved like the Achilles of Homer. Indeed he acted more violently and passionately than the latter, for he caused the towers and strongholds of Ecbatana to be demolished all round. As long as he only dedicated his own hair, he was behaving, I think, like a Greek; but when he laid hands on the very walls, Alexander was already showing his grief in foreign fashion. Even in his clothing he departed from ordinary custom, and gave himself up to his mood, his love, and his tears."
Aelian's Varia Historia, vii, 8.I don't think he turns up in the Romance - the Romance writers weren't really interested in people like him, who predeceased Alexander.Susan
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

There's also some references in the Suda,http://www.stoa.org/sol-bin/search.pl?s ... 5&db=REAL1) where he is mentioned by Hypereides, Demosthenes 20Aristion... is a Samian or Plataian, and, since a lad, a companion of Demosthenes; he was sent by him to Hephaistion for negotiations. Hyper[e]ides mentions him in the [speech] Against Demosthenes.[4]2) Ephippus, on the deaths of Hephaestion & Alexander
Susan
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I knew that Hyperides "mentions" Hephaistion in regards to the cult of Hephaistion set up, don't have the exact spot, the Funerary speech I believe, but I didn't know of any others.Thanks, Susan!Wolfie
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

There's also a reference in Alexander's Itinerary , which is closely based on Arrian:An additional detail records that, on seeing Hephaestion accompanying him and dressed in much the same style, they formed a higher impression of him because of his physical demeanor, and saluted him as Alexander. This error caused DariusGÇÖ mother to blush deeply in shame; but the king said she ought not to repent of the mistake, for he was saluted as Alexander in the person of either of them.
There may be references in the Metz epitome. I haven't got it and I don't know if it's available in English yet.
Susan
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

Hi Wolfie,There are a couple of secondary sources that you may want to access for your paper, if you haven't already, which will provide you will all ancient references to Hephaistion. One is my dissertation, which you'd probably have to access by ILL, and the other is Waldemar Heckel's THE MARSHALS OF ALEXANDER'S EMPIRE. Whole chapter on Hephaistion. Waldemar and I have rather different persepctives on Hephaistion's ability and personality, but both will provide you with the ancient sources.For more complete citations, go here (if you haven't found it already):
http://home.earthlink.net/~mathetria/www.html#WhereHope this helps.Cheers!Dr. Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman
287-K ASH, Dept. of History
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Omaha, NE 68182
402/554-2489