Hephaistion

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

kris

Hephaistion

Post by kris »

How old, or young, was Hephaistion when he succumbed to a sudden illness?
susan
Somatophylax

Re: Hephaistion

Post by susan »

About 32 - he was the same age as Alexander, who was 32 at the time.Susan
anamarija

Post by anamarija »

I'm not sure about that;some say he was the same age,and some say that,for Alexander and him to fit the Achilles and Patroclus model he'd have to be a few years older than Alex.But we can't say for certain since it's not listed anywhere-but he was about the same age,give or take a few years.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Alexander & Hephaistion were described as co-evals (same age) in some source but I cannot find where. They may have been a couple of years apart, but that is probably all, and Hephaestion was the older. Their similarity of age was the reason that their relationship was considered slightly odd - because it didn't fit the standard model of older man, younger man.RegardsSusan
S

Post by S »

Greetings,
I am not certain that it is written in the contemporary sources that Hephaistion was the older; it is assumed, based on what later authors thought was so, but is not necessarily fact.
Regards,
Sikander
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Yes, you're right - it could be either way. Susan
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Hi SusanI always wondered where the fact that their relationship was considered odd came from. I know according to the Dover model etc it may have been, but is it anywhere referrred to?Linda
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

I don't know of any ancient sources that mention it, I'm going on what I've read in academic papers - mainly Jeanne Reames-Zimmermann, whose site is:http://home.earthlink.net/~mathetria/lover.htmlSusan
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

OK, thank you.Linda
kris

Post by kris »

What do you think caused the mutiny of Alexander himself concerning his ideals when his army refused to go on? Was it love for achieved goals and mutified, stronger army? Or was he overwon by all he had been through and the adventours he had put his men through?
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Hephaestion

Post by Nicator »

I'm not sure what you mean by the mutiny of Alexander himself? Alexander didn't mutiny, his troops mutinied (twice, three times if you count the Thessalians). ATG wanted to go on (and on) perhaps indefinitely. He was forced to realize that his troops were not as interested in continuing the journey another step, and decided, for his own safety perhaps, to call it quits, turn back, and head for home. ATG was sharp enough to realize that a commander who pushes his men too far, very quickly ends up dead. He'd already had two close calls with the Philotas affair, and the conspiracy of the Pages...it wouldn't be difficult to fathom another attempt on his life by some disgruntled infantryman, former enemy now in his care, or even his officer elite concerned for their own safety. The well timed and delivered speech by Coenus was just what was needed to push ATG over the edge. Judging by the overwhelming reaction of the troops, I'd say that Alexander was a bit out of touch with the desires of his men at this time, and Coenus (with his ear a bit closer to the ground) came through with just what was needed. After their jubilant reaction to the speech, Alexander had little choice but to turn back. Sulking in his tent was a bit theatric, but all Alexander. His men would feel how heavily his decision to turn back weighed on him, by the length of time he remained isolated in his tent. The desired effect was to cause his men even more gratitude for his ultimate about face. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander