Alexander and Ptolomy brothers?

Discuss Alexander's generals, wives, lovers, family and enemies

Moderator: pothos moderators

topperalex

Alexander and Ptolomy brothers?

Post by topperalex » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 pm

It has been claimed by some sources that Alexander and Ptolemy were half brothers. They both had Philip II as father, and Ptolemy, being the elder brother, was son of the beautiful Arsinoe, Philips mistress. Philip had arranged that she was married to a Macedonian noble man, Lagos, while still carrying Ptolemy.
Could this be true?
I think not - and for one reason:
if Ptolemy was Philips son and it was common knowledge in Macedonia when Philip was murdered, Alexander would have had him killed the moment he himself was hailed as a King by the army. We know that Alexander had competitors killed, amongst them a cousin - so why would he not kill off a highly competent and able man and soldier as Ptolomy? This sound cruel and coldhaerted, but in fact that was buisnes as usual in those days in Macedonia - and in other royal dynasties both in the fourth Century - and in the centuries to come!
Last edited by topperalex on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psilos (foot skirmisher)

Alexias
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander and Ptolomy brothers?

Post by Alexias » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I think most people feel that the claim that Ptolemy was Alexander's half-brother originated later as the Ptolemies justified their royal pretensions. It is unlikely that Philip fathered Ptolemy. He was about 13 at the time Ptolemy would have been conceived, and around that time he was a hostage in Illyrian for several months.

derek
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Alexander and Ptolomy brothers?

Post by derek » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

I agree with both points. If Ptolemy had even been suspected to be a son of Philip in Alexander's lifetime. Alexander would have had him killed once he consolidated power. Ptolemy promoted the story later to reinforce his claim to kingship in Egypt.

Derek