Memories of Hephaestion A R Valeson

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Memories of Hephaestion A R Valeson

Post by Alexias »

Not sure about this novel from the preview

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/568 ... ephaestion

It should be titled 'Memoirs of Hephaestion' really to avoid confusion as it is written in the first person (Hephaestion POV), and is not recollections of Hephaestion by others.

Someone (I suspect the author) has inserted it into the Wikipedia entry on Hephaestion, but that effectively advertising.
tei

Re: Memories of Hephaestion A R Valeson

Post by tei »

The author seems to have only two other books, both published within the year, which are both m/m historical romance, making me assume they’re a new pseudonym of the kind of self-pub romance author whose industry basically demands a new book every couple months to stay “competitive” in the market. So… neither that nor the very generic blurb seem particularly promising to me on first glance :/
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Yes, it doesn't look promising. I still keep hoping for the great Alexander novel!
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by hiphys »

Recently I read a lot of novels about Alexander the Great (and Hephaestion), and 'Memoirs of Hephaestion', by Valeson, was one of them. But I can't tell I liked it. I liked best another novel by Sigrid SIMMS, 'Lion of Macedon. The life of Alexander the Great', (2020). It tells the whole life of Alexander, as seen through the eyes of Hephaestion.
Best regards
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Thanks for the recommendation. I might give it a try.