DIS MANIBUS John Kinloch Anderson (+ 12 Oct 2015)

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

DIS MANIBUS John Kinloch Anderson (+ 12 Oct 2015)

Post by sean_m »

http://www.classics.berkeley.edu/about/ ... ct-13-2015
Christopher Simon, PhD wrote:Professor John Kinloch (“Jock”) Anderson passed away peacefully on Tuesday, October 13 at the age of 91.

Jock Anderson was Professor of Classical Archaeology at UC Berkeley where he was a beloved mentor to many generations of students. His remarkable generosity of spirit, humanity, and kindness were unstinting to all who knew him, and he enriched all his friends, colleagues and students with his unique knowledge of English, Scottish and Greek poetry, enormous amounts of which he could recite accurately from his astonishing memory. His deep knowledge of archaeology, history, literature and scholarship was prodigious. He and his wife Esperance provided much nourishment (literal and spiritual) to all those who visited their charming house and garden in the Berkeley Hills near Tilden Park.

Jock was born in the Punjab. He was born late, nearly three weeks after the due date, and his mother’s ayah tried to reassure Jock’s mother by saying “There was once a very wise man who decided not to be born for a hundred years. This will be a very wise child.” ... (see link for full obituary)
There has been a lot of death and disasters this year. I feel like I should own nothing but black clothing and keep a team of professional mourners on retainer.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: DIS MANIBUS John Kinloch Anderson (+ 12 Oct 2015)

Post by agesilaos »

It is a sad fact that generations tend to die together and that particular generation contained many of the best in the field; even if one could not always agree with their interpretations, Hammond, Bosworth and Anderson were always interesting and stimulating, hopefully there will be a reprint of his collected essays and the work I most associate with him, 'Theory and Practice of Warfare in the Age of Xenophon', an important book that will be out of most undergrads' reach at £80.

Perhaps there is a list of his papers somewhere now, I know that both his background and publishing history were unobtainable when I last searched during a 'discussion' with Xenophon.

Perhaps we should have a place for Obits, I would suggest on the 'media' thread which is under used. With links to any e-literature it could be a good resource as well as a memorial thread?
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

That kind of information on older academics can be hard to find, especially if the university took things down from their website when they retired! What is cruellest is that its so hard to move on from people and communities which have gone in a direction which one can't follow but are still active online in circles one still moves in.

A designated section for obituaries and notices might be a good idea.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

I too am much saddened to read of the death of J.K. Anderson. His book, "Military Theory & Practice in the age of Xenophon"[1970] University of California inspired me at a time when I was an eager student of Greek, Hellenistic and Roman warfare, and had a profound influence in developing my own thoughts on the subject. He became a favourite author of mine, and indeed I was fortunate enough to correspond with him for a short time in the 1970's. Being of mixed Scots/Irish heritage I shared his fondness for bagpipe music, and also another favourite author, Kipling, as well as the music of Gilbert and Sullivan. We had both served in the army in Scottish infantry units as well..... and so had much in common.

I would endorse Agesilaos' comments.