Oriental literary sources

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Oriental literary sources

Post by agesilaos »

Just read Sean's piece on the two interpretations of the Astronomical Diary; very good, I like the Rofflinger take, but might question the supplying of 'camp' as the missing feminine singular based on the classical versions, but it would take a week or more with an Akkadian dictionary to suggest anything better :D
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Oriental literary sources

Post by sean_m »

You are welcome. I hope to do more posts which summarize things in German which would be of interest to a wider audience, like a new book on kingship in Urartu or Volquadsen on Diodorus and Ephorus. But for the next few weeks I feel like something lighter.

I wonder if the missing feminine singular something might have been a word for “battlefield” or “defeat” or “disaster.” It is frustrating that there is at least a sentence or two describing the "heavy defeat" in the part of the tablet which has broken away. Still, one day they may turn up a temple archive with a complete run of astronomical diaries, not the excerpts which have been identified so far.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)