NEW (and Newish) BOOKS 2014

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

NEW (and Newish) BOOKS 2014

Post by amyntoros »

I figure a topic that will hopefully cover many new books is better than having a number of individual threads. I started this one because of newly discovered information. Apparently Edward M. Anson has a brand new book published on February 7th, Alexander the Great: Themes and Issues. The Amazon page allows you to "look inside" the book, and I have to say that after just writing to a friend that "I'm not really interested in general biographies any more" I've decided that I must have this book. It's Edward M. Anson, after all. :lol:

Here's a brief review from the University of Arkansas.

Once I've received and read the book I will hopefully post in a separate thread. Comments are, however, welcome here, but I'd like to encourage anyone to post with information on any new(ish) book that they recommend. Doesn't have to be specifically an Alexander book as long as it relates in some fashion.

All the best,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: NEW (and Newish) BOOKS 2014

Post by Paralus »

Neatly found. The thematic approach is the drawcard: another 'biography' would have been ho-hum. Chapter four appeals as does chapter five. May well have to sort myself a copy.

On the subject of book, I can highly recommend David Karunanithy's The Macedonian War Machine 359-281 BC. If you are looking for well-rehearsed arguments over army command, divisions and units (how armed, deployed and their tactics), this is not your book. If, however, you wish to delve into how cavalry horses were sourced and supplied, how the soldiers trained, lived, marched and camped along with how they were dressed and what armour they wore etc, then this is your book.

Another I'd highly recommend would be Roisman's Alexander's Veterans and the Early Wars of the Successors. Promised away back in 2011 at the Diodorus Conference, Roisman delivers in spades. Though I don't necessarily agree with everything (who ever does??) this covers the veterans from the Hyphassis mutiny to the Argyraspides' 'last stand' at Gabiene. The "eclectic" chronology used throughout is both rational and a bonus.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I would just like to second Paralus' assesssment and add the Kurunaithy's book is also very nicely illustrated with relevant art some of which is new to me, naturally there are issues but his line is clear and well reasoned, ditto Roisman. A book to avoid is Stephen English's 'The Army of Alexander the Great', which is published by the same publisher as Kurunaithy, but is as different in quality Devonshire clotted cream and the white substance that issues from aerosol cans; it has nothing new to say, perpetrates a great many fallacies and contains p### poor referencing and sub-standard argumentation yet retails at the same price as 'The Macedonian War Machine'! I will attempt a comparison of these two for the review section once I get round to finishing Kurunaithy's book.

Not so sure about E M Anson, though; but I whole-heartedly agree that we do not need a new narrative biography.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote:I would just like to second Paralus' assesssment and add the Kurunaithy's book is also very nicely illustrated with relevant art some of which is new to me, naturally there are issues but his line is clear and well reasoned, ditto Roisman.
I'd quite forgotten that. I don't know of any book available that offers such a collection of colour plates (37) in the one volume: the plates range from the Aghios Athanasios tomb frescoes through coins, friezes, recovered arms and armour, to artwork such as the Alexander Mosaic and more.

Karunanithy warns that his book is “not meant as a light read or introduction to the subject, nor is it intended as a strictly academic work”, but rather one for those “who have gained some familiarity with the ancient and modern literature detailing Macedonian warfare”. While Karunanithy hopes that both professional historians and lay people will find the book appealing, I'd suggest some – or more than some – familiarity with the ancient and modern literature will go a long way to enhancing such appeal. There are more than fifty pages of end notes and thirty-five pages of sources - the modern works taking up thirty-three of those pages. Like Anson's Eumenes of Cardia, this was a work long in gestation. A bargain the price (ditto the current offer on Roisman's book).
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Apparently Edward M. Anson has a brand new book published on February 7th, Alexander the Great: Themes and Issues.
Thanks for the heads up about this, Amyntoros. I've been away from Pothos for some time, due to work pressures and various other non-work reasons, but decided I needed to have a quick look to see what's been happening. Delighted to see this - with my birthday approaching, it can go straight to my Amazon wish-list! :D

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK