John Latsis Books of Greek Museums, courtesy of system1988

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

John Latsis Books of Greek Museums, courtesy of system1988

Post by Xenophon »

system1988 wrote: <snip> (by moderator)

Now, for the publishings: The Arhondikon excavation can be found in the work "The archaeological work in Macedonia and Thrace", where english translations exist. Moreover , by going to:

http://www.latsis-foundation.org/megazi ... reloader=1 ----- pages 299 and 305 for the graves ------

John Latsis is a famous Greek shipowner (I think one of the 50 richest people in the world) who has founded a cultural institution. He has also published books of mostly all the Greek Museums (a good chance to see them all since they are exquisite photos in there). The excavator ensured me for the continuation of these publishings.

WOW! ....That electronic book you linked to is just exquisite !! The photographic detail fabulous - probably better than having to squint at the real thing through a glass case !

I have so far only dipped into it, and it is already telling me a great deal !

It is such a fantastic resource - and goes into the the "Alexandrian" period. Something here for all Pothosians to enjoy and be fascinated by !

Thank you very much indeed for that link, it will take me a long time to digest it from cover to cover........
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Greece before Alexander

Post by system1988 »

Xenophon wrote:WOW! ....That electronic book you linked to is just exquisite !! The photographic detail fabulous - probably better than having to squint at the real thing through a glass case !

I have so far only dipped into it, and it is already telling me a great deal !

It is such a fantastic resource - and goes into the the "Alexandrian" period. Something here for all Pothosians to enjoy and be fascinated by !

Thank you very much indeed for that link, it will take me a long time to digest it from cover to cover........

Yes, this is for all Pothosians. If you google "latsis foundation" and go to the e-library and then the "museums cycle" you can see the Pella, Olympia (amazing photo of helmets in a row), Marathon, National, Thebes, Delphi (astonishing), Heraklion, Thessaloniki, Delos, Elefsis, Piraeus, Acropolis and Benaki Museums.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

Yes, I had realised from your earlier post that this was just one of many museums covered by the Latsis foundation........but like I said, there is so much to take in just from the Pella one, it is going to take a long time !

Looking forward to much future viewing pleasure......

Thank you once again :D
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris_taylor »

system1988 wrote: If you google "latsis foundation" and go to the e-library and then the "museums cycle" you can see the Pella, Olympia (amazing photo of helmets in a row), Marathon, National, Thebes, Delphi (astonishing), Heraklion, Thessaloniki, Delos, Elefsis, Piraeus, Acropolis and Benaki Museums.
I only saw this thread yesterday and burnt the candle at both ends, glued to the screen just turning page after page. Best e-books I've *ever* seen.

Thank you so much for providing the link.

Chris.
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

Amazing e-book!

Should be mentioned in the main forum really!
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Susa the Great wrote:Amazing e-book!

Should be mentioned in the main forum really!
Great idea!

I'm a bit limited in what I can do at work (in fact, I'm surprised that it's even letting me reply to this post), but when I get home I'll either move the post with the link, or copy it acress.

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: John Latsis Books of Greek Museums, courtesy of system19

Post by amyntoros »

Ah, ah, it worked! I edited Xenophon's post to included the url for the Latsis Books and then split the topic, moving the relevant portion here. Hopefully more people will see this and realize what a wonderful link system1988 has given us.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

amyntoros wrote:Ah, ah, it worked! I edited Xenophon's post to included the url for the Latsis Books and then split the topic, moving the relevant portion here. Hopefully more people will see this and realize what a wonderful link system1988 has given us.
Thanks, Amyntoros! I was supposed to move the posts, but forgot (oops! :oops: )
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

This is one book to have at home for the delight of the soul!
I searched the John Latsis website for online purchasing, but 'm afraid there is no such thing.
Bleh.
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Susa the Great wrote:This is one book to have at home for the delight of the soul!
I searched the John Latsis website for online purchasing, but 'm afraid there is no such thing.
Bleh.
I am glad for the books' acceptance. It's not only the awesome photos, but the text is also written by prestigeous scientists.

Let me add that the John Latsis Institute does not sell any of its books. It only distributes them to other educational institutions, departmants of antiquities as well as to anyone who has a fat account to Mr. Latsis' banks (not me). :mrgreen: Not to worry though. With the e- library system anyone can view the books whose numbers I hope will be increased.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I must confess i have not had a good look through the book yet but the glance I have taken mean i will have to set aside a goodly chunk of my life to read it all properly, archaeology is the discipline furthest from the grasp of us poor groundlings; it takes so long for excavation reports to filter out, and, historian though I am, one has to admit the primacy of the archaeology; witness the thread on Persepolis, easy access to the reports would allow a more informed discussion.

Epharisto,
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

system1988 wrote:
Susa the Great wrote:This is one book to have at home for the delight of the soul!
Bleh.
I am glad for the books' acceptance. It's not only the awesome photos, but the text is also written by prestigeous scientists.

Let me add that the John Latsis Institute does not sell any of its books. It only distributes them to other educational institutions, departmants of antiquities as well as to anyone who has a fat account to Mr. Latsis' banks (not me). :mrgreen: Not to worry though. With the e- library system anyone can view the books whose numbers I hope will be increased.
Well, at least I can ask for it now by means of the institution I work at, a museum!
They may send a copy to us here.
Will write to them, then will let you people know if I got a copy :D
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

THERE ARE MANY VOLUMES, COVERING A NUMBER OF MUSEUMS.....WHICH ONE WERE YOU THINKING OF ACQUIRING?
Susa the Great

Post by Susa the Great »

Xenophon wrote:THERE ARE MANY VOLUMES, COVERING A NUMBER OF MUSEUMS.....WHICH ONE WERE YOU THINKING OF ACQUIRING?
Oh dear, I want the Pella Museum one, this e-book one.

It is so well researched, that the writers even point at the possible origins of the word "Pella".... Wonderful piece!

Well, but really, I wouldn't mind at all having one of each :)
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I enjoyed browsing through the first book that I examined very quickly. I love the format, and the ease in availability. Thanks so much, Jan