New Edition of Worthington's "Sources" book

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

New Edition of Worthington's "Sources" book

Post by marcus »

I was not previously aware that there is a new edition of Ian Worthington's "Alexander the Great: A Reader", but have just read the BMCR review of it.

I thought the first edition was a bit limited, in that so many of the articles were rather old and therefore, in some cases, a bit dated. It appears that there is more recent material in this new edition, and therefore it might, in fact, be a much better resource.

All the best
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: New Edition of Worthington's "Sources" book

Post by agesilaos »

Read the review too, would certainly be useful for students but there seems to be only one translated (from a modern language) and that is where I would like some help...German is not one of my languages and there are so many papers in German! :D
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: New Edition of Worthington's "Sources" book

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:Read the review too, would certainly be useful for students but there seems to be only one translated (from a modern language) and that is where I would like some help...German is not one of my languages and there are so many papers in German! :D
Totally agree on that score, Agesilaos. I failed my German O-Level, and nowadays the only German I use is that associated with teaching Nazi Germany. I don't think that things like Geheime Staatspolizei, Gauleiter and Schutzstaffeln would help very much with reading academic papers on Alexander the Great! :D

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK